Chinese Trap....

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
No,this isn't another diatribe about buying clone shotguns.

It's a shooting game. This variant seems to be thought up by the Geezer League. It IS fun, and we hoot and holler during the round. Here's how...

Start off with 50 rounds, on a range set up for both trap and skeet. Shoot targets coming from the trap house, but do the shooting from Skeet positions, 1,2,7,8, and from behind trap post 3, but at 27 yards. Did I mention you get 2 shots if you want at each clay?

The drill:

Shooter #1 starts off at Skeet post #1,shooting up to 10 shots at 5 called birds.Shooters #2 to whatever do the same, and move on to #2. Then,7,8, and those last 5 shots from the 27 yard line.

Consider the shots. A hard left from #1 means a fast shot at maybe 25 yards, a hard right means at least 40.While some of the shots look like the standard trap shots, there's enough difference to break up the automatic moves and have the shooter actually have to shoot the target as a new thing.

I shot this variant last Friday with the Geezer League. High gun, tho nobody was obsessed with scores, was an octogenarian with a classic Ithaca SBT, who just skipped the possibility of a second shot and busted them with glee.

Everybody shot the gun they were holding but one guy, who switched to his live pigeon gun(Model 21) because he had a match the following day.

I used my 870 TB, and my showing was not shabby. Some second shot hits were pretty close to the ground, but I felt good about going 4/5 from the 27.BTW, I hadn't planned on this and had not brought enough of my reloads, so a friend lent me a box of his, 7/8 oz of 9s. I doubt I'da shot any higher with 1 oz.

Since this was a button pull,instead of voice actuated, the human reaction time added a little variation and allowed us to comment, applaud, laugh etc.

Some of the guys would hit on the first shot, then go for the biggest piece left for their followup. No extra points, but this game's not that much on score.

Give it a try, if you'd like to try a new game...

Back