Chinese SKS Info

MaxxAmmo

Inactive
Good evening folks. I'm new to the forum, and I am seeking approximate age of a Chinese SKS I purchased today from a gun dealer. Rifle is brand new andall parts are milled, but came without a box, and does have spike bayonet attached. SN is 1510XXX, and numbers match on all parts. Only markings on receiver are triangle with "106" inside, SKS 7.62X39 Labanu, Inc, Ronkonkoma, NY Made in China.
This is a standard SKS version, not a "D" or "M" version, and I understand that Lebanu went out of business in 1998. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

The only really sure bet on dating a Chinese SKS is if it comes from Factory 26, which yours apparently does not. You can try and narrow down the production years by looking at features of the rifle such as the trigger guard (milled vs. stamped) and different length barrel lugs. Sorry I can't be more specific as mine is a factory 26 (1959) and my other one is a Romanian stamped 1958, so I haven't paid too much attention to the identifying features. With some research you can probably narrow down the years a good deal.

You probably won't be able to precisely date it, but here is some info that may help you get to within a decade or so:

The spike bayonets were introduced around 1966.
Some Chinese SKS's with spike bayonets have barrel lugs. The lugged barrels were produced into the '80s.
Later Chinese SKSs have pinned barrels. They came along in the '70s.
Pre-1980s Chinese SKS bolt carriers have a groove that extends almost the full length of the carrier. In the 1980s, they machined off the last inch or so of the groove area.
Pre-1980s bolt carriers have a noticeably rounded stripper guide. The 1980s models are squared off on the inside.

Also, check out Yooper John's excellent SKS web pages at http://www.yooperj.com.

Also, if you have a milled trigger guard as opposed to a stamped one it indicates an early SKS. I think that they went to the stamped by the Sixties.

The PRC government never furnished production dates to the ATF, which prevents them being added to the C&R list.

I think that there are also some other issues that keep them from being added to the list :D

Excellent point. I'm not familiar with some of those reasons, other than the growing Chinese military and the nations' "frictions" with the US.

They will never be added with our excellent new ATF Director.

But if his "Boss" leaves for Chicago in late 2012, maybe the new Director won't be reappointed.

I hope you enjoy your lil chinese rifle; i have certainly enjoyed mine. I'm not certain of the date of manufacture on mine, but it has excelled at the more important aspects of being a good rifle for me like shooting straight and reliably.

Back