Chinese Mauser?!?!

Parke1

(this was also posted in The Art of the Rifle, although I think that this would probably be the better place to post it...)

So I just called the local gun shop and asked them if they have any Mausers in stock (since my girlfriend said that she'd buy me one for our anniversary. I got a good one, fellas!), and he said that he had one Chinese Mauser in stock. Now call me stupid (please don't, really... ), but I've never heard of a Chinese Mauser before.

Doing a bit of snooping around online, I found out very little about them. The one model number associated with Chinese rifles that shoot 8mm Mauser is the T88 Hayang Rifle. Is this the same thing? The guy at the shop said that it was like a model 98, and that it had a very good bore and action. Will this gun take regular Mauser furniture?

Any info (on the T88 or any Chinese Mausers (if this isn't the same thing)) is appreciated. Thanks!

-Parke1

I'm certainly no expert.... so take this with a grain or two of salt.

Generally speaking, the Chinese Mausers are close copies of German Mausers, thrown together by the Chinese, and made with questionable controls on the metallurgy. They may be OK, or they may be soft, too brittle, etc.

I don't know of anyone who willingly shoots them. They are generally bought, when they're bought at all, so that the collector has a representative sample of another Mauser not in his (or her) collection.

If you're thinking of buying a cheap shooter, look at the Yugo Mausers, instead. These are fundamentally sound guns, and very reasonably priced.

The gun you're looking at is a potential crap shoot...

Back