Chicago: Feds Indict Suburban Gun Dealers

Ground Level

http://wire.ap.org/?SLUG=GUN%2dINDICTMENTS
========================
AUGUST 18, 14:34 EDT

Feds Indict Suburban Gun Dealers
By MIKE ROBINSON
Associated Press Writer

CHICAGO (AP) — Opening a new front in the war on gun violence, federal prosecutors announced indictments today against suburban gun sellers accused of helping put firearms in the hands of drug-selling street gangs.

Federal officials said ``Operation Surefire,'' in which federal
agents cooperated with Chicago police, represented the first concerted attack on suburban gun shops that furnish arms to city-based gangs responsible for hundreds of homicides.

``The message is simple — if you violate the gun laws, you're going to prison,'' U.S. Attorney Scott Lassar said in announcing the charges.

In all, 13 people were charged.

Owners and employees of five suburban gun shops were charged with avoiding state laws designed to keep guns out of the hands of criminals by selling guns to ``straw purchasers'' — people with clean records who then turn the weapons over to gang members convicted of past crimes.

Individuals accused of buying guns illegally were also charged.

The indictments follow a $433 million lawsuit filed by the city of Chicago against suburban gun dealers and the firearms industry.

Mayor Richard M. Daley ordered the lawsuit filed after a 1998 undercover investigation by Chicago police found that some suburban gun dealers had sidestepped laws designed to keep guns away from criminals.

Handgun sales to civilians are banned in Chicago, but the city has been racked by gun violence, especially on the part of drug-selling gangs who have thousands of members and are responsible for hundreds of homicides.

Lassar said that one of the defendants was found to have purchased 186 guns in one year.

=================================

My link didn't seem to work, and since I haven't figured out how to edit a post yet I thought I'd just let you know.

mike (trying to figure out how to capture a windowed link)

That is interesting. At least they decided to prosecute the phoney buyers as well, and not just concentrate on the dealers.

I would feel more sympathetic toward the dealers, but I have known a few who are so far over the line, they will even tell a buyer how to evade the law. "I can't sell you a gun because you have a long record, but if you get one of your buddies who has no record to come in..."

These guys are not being "entrapped" by unfair LE actions, they are being trapped by their own greed and their own words.

The trouble is that these guys make us all look bad and the antis use their actions against us.

Jim

Jim:

Sometimes I wonder if the gun dealers are greedy or if they are being made an example of. At this point in time.... I would not put it past our Gov to set them up. What I'm saying is after believing that the Whacko's from Waco were in fact Whacko... I'm reserving judgement.

------------------
Richard

The debate is not about guns,
but rather who has the ultimate power to rule,
the People or Government.
RKBA!

Back