Chicago drops JROTC marksmanship programs

Coinneach

Staff Alumnus
...and in other news, Francisco Franco is still dead.
http://www.cnn.com/US/9911/09/riflery.dropped.ap/index.html

Hmmm... the pinheads equate undisciplined terrorists with ROTC kids. I'd like to know exactly what percentage of the recent incidents was perpetrated by ROTCers.

I'd also like to know why in the screaming blue hell the NRA isn't jumping on this like a starving chihuahua on a pork chop.

------------------
"The right of no person to keep and bear arms in defense of his home, person and property,
or in aid of the civil power when thereto legally summoned, shall be called in question.."
Article 11, Section 13, CO state constitution.

I take it this a recent pronouncement. Let's not forget that the NRA is big, which generally means it is slower to react than us individuals who can basically shoot off our mouths at the drop of a dime.

Why dont you make sure the NRA knows your feelings about this and send them a well worded email.

------------------
Peace through superior firepower...
Keith

If the 2nd is antiquated, what will happen to the rest.
"the right to keep and bear arms."

I don't know how long this has been in the works, but it was just reported on CNN today.

I've found that contacting the NRA is just like communicating with politicians: I send them a message, they reply back with "We know what we're doing. Shut up and go away."

------------------
"The right of no person to keep and bear arms in defense of his home, person and property,
or in aid of the civil power when thereto legally summoned, shall be called in question.."
Article 11, Section 13, CO state constitution.

Ack! What's next? Are the Boy Scouts going to stop offering the Riflery merit badge?

These kids were using BB guns for pete's sake.

I remember my high school had a JROTC. No marksmanship classes, but there was a rifle drill team. I wonder how long it will be before those are wiped out. <sarcasm>Twirling a non-operational rifle is just the sort of thing we need to protect the children from :(</sarcasm>

Anyone in the Chicago area have something to say on this?

Not quite Chicago, but ....

Here in Western Australia, after the "gun confiscations", the Police and Citizens Youth Clubs lost their air rifles, and the army, navy and air force cadets had their welded-up drill rifles destroyed. These areas were deemed to be "offensive" and "not what we should be teaching our children".

Maybe that's why I heard a very young Army "grunt" explaining to a civvy that the issue Aug Steyr (in .223 at 2900fps) was "deadly out to 600 yards".

B

There was an article in the youth magazine "React" a few weeks ago that pointed out that many schools are shutting down their rifle teams and other marksmanship programs, even those that only use air rifles.
An obvious knee-jerk reaction to Columbine, etc., even though the students who participate in these programs have never been connected to the deranged loners who perpetrate these rampages.
So instead of a program that TEACHES responsible firearm handling, we will create an educational void that will no doubt be filled by HOLLYWOOD!!!
This is a real step forward. :(

Typical Chicago nonsense. School supt.Paul Vallas said marksmanship was in conflict with schools' mission of teaching''non-use of weapons.'' What the hell does non-use mean? Chicagfo triumphs again in its quest to push symbolism over substance. Btw, another Chicago alderman was convicted yesterday on 13 counts of extortion, bribery and official misconduct. So far, Chicago's aldermen are convicted of felonies at the rate of one per year since 1972.

Back