Chiappa .45 Colt Type III WOWSER!

DPris

Member Emeritus
Actually, I call it a WOWSER, but they call it a Mare's Leg. :)

New version, octagon barrel, antiqued finish, no sights, teardrop lever, modified fanning hammer.

Brought it home for a test drive today.
Wood to metal fit is better than the Winoku 73 here, among the best I've ever seen.

If you're a Josh Randall fan, you'll like this one.
If you have to ask who Josh Randall is, go back to sleep. :)

Have not fired it yet, and had no intention of keeping it after the T&E, but in looking it over all it has to do is make a loud noise & it'll be one more puncture in my New Year's Resolution not to buy any more guns this year. :)
Denis

Denis, even though Randle wore his as a handgun, I'm not sure it qualifies as one for our purposes!:)

I did a quick search just to make sure I remembered accurately. In the process learned that the rounds he wore on his belt were not .44, but 45-70 because they were more impressive for the cameras.

Congratulations on the new pistol. I would love to handle and shoot one just for grins.

These factory-produced Mare's Legs by Chiappa, Rossi, Henry, and whoever, are all classified as handguns by ATF, so that's why I put it here. :)

I have their first version, with 12-inch barrel in .44-40 from a while back.
It has a smoother action, but this latest version is a visual feast, with shorter 9-inch barrel and the octagon configuration, and no sights to be more authentic.

The fanning hammer's a fun touch.
I'll have to try it, at least once.
Hopefully won't blow a toe off.
Denis

They make an 1887 12 gauge Mares Leg but it has an 18.5 inch barrel. Model12 you are correct on the pronunciation.

Finally shot it.
10 yards & 25 yards, with 5 loads.
Best 5-shot group 10 yards off a rest was just under an inch.
Best 5-shot group 25 yards off a rest was just under 3 inches.

Without sights.
It can shoot. :)
Denis

Had planned some hip-shooting & fanning today, to round out the picture, but too windy outside.

Surprising how certain childhood influences remain so strong after all these years. :)

I've determined to actually tote it on a desert outing this Spring.
I've had a Mernickle holster for a Mare's Leg for a while, so I've got the leather to do it.
Just to say I finally fulfilled a wish I had back in '59. :)
Denis

Back