Chiappa 22 LR

ammo.crafter,

That was my first thought. I can't check because I won't see the gun and him for a few more weeks when I see him in southern Colorado. He will bring the gun with him.

What Chiappa .22LR? We're in the semi-auto discussion area, so could this be Chiappa's 1911-22?

If so, tell your friend to save a lot of aggravation and toss it into the nearest river. Those things give "junk" a bad name.

Aguila Blanca,

Good question. I will confess to not knowing anything about these guns. I'm waiting for my friend to tell me if it's a semi auto or revolver. If it's the revolver, I apologize for posting in the wrong area.

Bucksnort1 said:
It is the semi-automatic Chiappa.
I don't know if Chiappa makes more than one .22LR semi-auto. If it's the 1911-22 (which shares zero mechanical details with a 1911), IMHO it's total junk. Your friend should cut his losses, toss the gun in the trash (or turn it in to his local PD to get his name disassociated from it), and buy a different brand of .22LR 1911-like pistol.

NOT Puma -- that's the same gun as the Chiappa.

A number of years ago I was assigned to review the Chiappa for a publication. Chiappa said they would send us one for review. After much exchange of e-mails and multiple promises not kept ... there was no pistol. By happenstance, a friend of mine had recently purchased one from the shop at the range where we both shoot. He immediately had problems and the shop sent it back to the mother ship for repairs. I happened to be there the day it came back, and I mentioned to my friend about the ill-fated non-review.
He handed me his and told me to take as much time with it as I needed.

The first time I field stripped it for photos, a part (don't remember which part, at this point) fell off when I removed one of the grip panels. And things went steadily downhill from there. Remember, this was a new pistol that had just been [supposedly] repaired by the manufacturer. I accept the reality that every company occasionally lets a dud sneak out the door, but you'd think when a defective firearm is returned for repairs the least you should expect when it comes back is that the parts will stay on the gun.

Hmmm ...

It appears Chiappa also makes a .22 LR replica of the Beretta M9. I've never seen one, so I don't know if those are as bad as the 1911-22 pistols.

The first time I field stripped it for photos, a part (don't remember which part, at this point) fell off when I removed one of the grip panels. And things went steadily downhill from there. Remember, this was a new pistol that had just been [supposedly] repaired by the manufacturer. I accept the reality that every company occasionally lets a dud sneak out the door, but you'd think when a defective firearm is returned for repairs the least you should expect when it comes back is that the parts will stay on the gun.

Please note I am NOT in any way defending Chiappa...

But I find your statement of expectations to be unfair. OK, a part "fell off" and you think that's wrong, while admitting that you were taking the gun apart, at the time.

lots of gun designs have parts retained in place by other parts. Sometimes those parts are the grips. My point here is that when you "took the grips off," when you "removed the retainer....took the screws out,,,took off the sideplate",...etc. things may fall out or off and that ALONE is not a symptom of low quality or poor design.

Indeed.
I won't defend Chiappa's low quality, either.

But, Browning Buckmarks are well regarded and considered good .22 pistols by most owners.
Yet, if you take the grips off, parts fall off. In fact, nearly anything that you remove from a Buckmark results in more parts falling off/out.

Same for many rifles. Take the action out of the stock, and parts (can) fall off.
Ruger 77s, Ruger 10/22s, Marlin 60s, Remingtons, Winchesters, Savages, Mossbergs, and more. Shotguns, too. I don't remember which one it is, but I have an old shotgun that just falls to pieces after you (quickly and easily) remove the barrel. The bolt falls out, and then everything else in the receiver just falls out of place and out of the gun.

When disassembling a firearm, one should not be surprised to find that some parts keep other parts in place. Especially today, when every penny is pinched by reducing operations and parts count.

A friend has one of these guns. He says it misfires too many times.

Any ideas?
The cause is usually crap ammo or lack of maintenance, more often than the fault of the firearm.

I just remembered that I own one of the crappy Chiappa .22 revolvers.
It is such a low quality [coprolite] that I haven't fire it yet, and often forget about it.

Ironically, one of my first experiences with it was dropping a bushing that fits around the base pin and inside the cylinder, because it is not retained in any way and is not normal.

Disassembling a firearm comes with certain expectations.
Finding unexpected and unusual parts, that just fall out, is definitely not one of them.

His Chiappa is the M9 look alike. When I see him we will inspect spent cases for firing pin indentations. I’m giving him some mini-mags to test. Probably won’t make a difference but we will see.

Is this pistol striker fired?

My only experience with Chiappa was with their 1011-22, so I can't comment on how the Beretta clone operates.

44 AMP and FrankenMauser: I didn't just fall off the turnip truck. I used to own a first generation Colt Double Eagle. I know when parts are designed to be retained by the grips, and that was not the case with the Chiappa.

I own a Chiappa 1911-22. I don’t shoot it currently because at about 500 rounds it quit extracting the empty cartridge. I cleaned the barrel/ chamber and behind and around the extractor and it didn’t help. They are also known for having a heavy trigger pull, which I’m told the warranty service station in Ohio will fix if you send it in. I watched a YouTube video about doing a trigger job, it is not a 1911 trigger setup, and parts are retained by the grip panel. It looked more complex than I wanted to tackle, so I’m just going to drop it off in Cleveland and let Chiappa fix it while I catch some walleyes in Lake Erie.
When it worked it was a nice shooter for fun plinking. Only thing I thought was weird is that you could feel the slide go back and forth with every shot. Like watching a slo mo of a 1911 firing.

Back