Cheyenne Tactical M200 Intervention...

mach1.3

used by Mark Wahlberg in the "Shooter". I'm not that familiar with the rifle or it's chambering--any info would be appreciated.

From what I gather the Cheytac is pretty much unobtainable. There is, however, another company who makes basically the same rifle. In fact, IIRC, they used to be partnered in the M200's development and had disagreements with Cheytac and split. The company is EDM and they call their version the Windrunner.

It is offered in multiple chamberings but I believe the one you're interested in is .408 Cheytac. .408 CT with a 300gr bullet will leave the muzzle in the neighborhood of 3500fps.

Neither the rifle or the ammo are cheap or easy to come across, expect to pay well over $5k for the rifle and over $4/round for ammo

The rifle and the 408 Cheytac round were very promising, but for some reason it never really took a foot hold.

Armys around the world seemed to be catching on to 338lapua, and have stuck too it.

Another round that is very similar is .416 Barrett, available in Barrett rifles and seems much more common.

The rifle and the 408 Cheytac round were very promising, but for some reason it never really took a foot hold.

When SOCOM tested the 408 Cheytac against the 50 BMG they found that the bullets on both lost stability around 1,400 meters. The testing was done out in the high desert of California, so it isn't like the conditions were unfavorable for long range shooting.

So it wasn't the cartridge, but the bullet design not handling the transonic range very well.

Jimro

Was there not tests done that had it hitting man sized targets at 2500yards?
I'm almost certain I have read this in the past.

Surely not all bullets would behave that way?
They can't have spent all the time and money on research and making the cartridge for it too be no better than existing cartridges?

Back