Cherokee Gun and Pawn

GaryED50

Hey all

For my fellow Georgia gun owners in the city of Canton. Cherokee Gun and pawn asked me to pass on they have to start charging for all transfers $20. Regardless of when you pick up the transfer.

Gary

Good. I can put them on my list of people I wont use.

I don't have a dog in this hunt and don't care but what am I missing? $20 seems to be a pretty standard charge for a transfer. It's $20 at my LGS and to me that's fair. After all he has to keep the lights on. What do you think it should be?

$10 cash. No cards. No checks.
Dealer I use says he makes $400 to $600 per day transferring at $10. He said half those transfers buy something else while they are there. Ammo, rings, scope, powder, bullets, or something. He said on average the $10 transfer earns him at least $50 in additional sales.

Last edited:
They are too far for me to have a transfer done anyway. But I've been in the shop once and bought some powder and ammo. I bought a gun from them at gun show in Cartersville once too. They seem like nice folks and the prices were right.

There are a couple of places here that will do it for $5, but $20 isn't nearly as bad as a lot of places who want $50. I live about 45 minutes away from Canton. I wouldn't drive 45 minutes each way to do it for $5 vs $20.

Previously if you waited till after the transfer arrived at their store they wouldn't charge for the transfer.

But right now they are doing appointments and transfers only so they are loosing money with the free transfers cause no one is buying anything to go with it. So they stopped the free portion of the policy.

Gary

Last edited:
GaryED50 said:
Previously if you waited till after the transfer arrived at their store they wouldn't charge for the transfer.

Bur right now they are doing appointments and transfers only so they are loosing money with the free transfers cause no one is buying anything to go with it. So they stopped the free portion of the policy.
Sounds reasonable to me. But I live in a state where most transfers cost at least $50, so $20 doesn't strike me as being something to complain about.

But I live in a state where most transfers cost at least $50, so $20 doesn't strike me as being something to complain about.

It really isn't. They made their name on the local market by doing free transfers. Given current conditions, I can't see blaming them for needing to make up for lost revenue. In that market and area, $20 is still a bargain.

If people want to write them off because they're actually charging money for their time and services, well...I don't know what to say.

reynolds357 said:
$10 cash. No cards. No checks.
Dealer I use says he makes $400 to $600 per day transferring at $10. He said half those transfers buy something else while they are there. Ammo, rings, scope, powder, bullets, or something. He said on average the $10 transfer earns him at least $50 in additional sales.
You are writing in the present tense, but the situation with Cherokee Pawn is a new development as a direct response to the COVID-19 shutdown and social distancing requirements. Does your dealer make $400 to $600 a day on transfers now? And, if he has any transfers at all happening now, do those customers still spend an average of $50 in addition to the transfer fee?

Transfers here run $25. $10 is unheard of, as is $50. I swap between my two favorite LGS to spread the wealth a bit. Its gotten to be when I walk in at one as they see come through the door they say hello and my name very similar to Cheers and Norm.

Almost makes me feel like I need an intervention . . . . . almost.

You are writing in the present tense, but the situation with Cherokee Pawn is a new development as a direct response to the COVID-19 shutdown and social distancing requirements. Does your dealer make $400 to $600 a day on transfers now? And, if he has any transfers at all happening now, do those customers still spend an average of $50 in addition to the transfer fee?
Dont know for sure. Have not been in his store in about a month. I bet he is selling all he wants to.

I have two places I use for transfers. The small guy charges $20. The guy with a sizeable business charges $35.

The long established LGS charges $70, so I never bother with them.

I'm as happy as a clam to pay $20.

And, if he has any transfers at all happening now, do those customers still spend an average of $50 in addition to the transfer fee?

I'd guarantee not. My LGS has seen a huge decrease in traffic during the crisis. There's almost no demand for the range or instruction, which are how they make up for anemic margins on guns. When it comes to the guns and ammo, supply problems are prevalent.

If Cherokee Gun is in the same position (and I'm sure they are), they have to make the money up somehow. And again, $20 in the Atlanta market is still quite a bargain.

$20 doesn't seem at all unreasonable to me. In my neck of the woods it's usually anywhere from free to $20 if you're buying the gun from them and $30-$40 if it's not the FFLs piece. I understand the FFLs need to keep the bills paid too. I'm not going to balk at a $10 or $20 difference if I want something, thats the price to play.

$20 sounds fair to me. Its what he does for a living. He has to charge something. I am used to paying $25 to my old dealer. My new dealer charges between free and $20 depending on his mood. My last transfer was $20 and he had a set of BUIS sights for an AR laying on his counter I was looking at. He said take 'em, I have no use for them. So that was a good deal. Except the only AR I own or will ever own has sights on it already. I will find someone to give them to some day.

Back