Cheek Riser?

taylorce1

With rails and larger objectives on a few of my rifles, I find that I need a taller comb. I've swapped out a few optics to smaller objectives and 1" tubes where it made sense. My question is, without replacing the stocks I have which cheek riser would you use and why? These are the styles I'm looking at and the brands just represent the styles I'm looking at except the Kydex riser:

Beartooth comb riser kit

I've used the Beartooth brand before, and it worked. It did eventually start to relax when shooting on hot days. I never had the riser slip because the material relaxed, but it did worry me a bit.

Matthew's Kydex cheek rest

I've never had a Kydex riser before, I just didn't want to drill some of the stocks I was using. However, I'm mainly thinking of using injection molded factory stocked Ruger Americans and Savage Accustocks. The only thing I dont like is the big knobs, and would prefer allen head attachment, thats why I'm looking at Matthew's.

Tourbon Riser lace up version

I've also used types similar to the Tourbon, but with velcro staps. I really don't like the velcro attachment
, and I'd prefer not to have exposed cartridges on my stock. If there is a cartridge holder inside a zippered pocket, lthat's okay. I also like to have the zippered pocket sewn onto the riser not attached with velcro to be ambidextrous mounting. The straps always stretched after awhile, and that's why I'm looking at laces.

If your rifle didn't come with an adjustable cheekrest, I would find one that slips on and off easily.

There are numerous removable cheekrests, find one that you like, or fits the style of rifle it's going on. No way I'm drilling holes in the stock, plus it will devalue the rifle, if you decide to sell it.

I drilled my Savage for one like Matthews. It did not affect the salability, the guy who bought it would have installed one if it did not already have it.

i'd probably go with the tourbon but in the nylon not the leather. reason the leather protrudes behind the recoil pad and in warm weather might not be comfortable. i like leather, just not sticking out past the recoil pad on the sides.

there you got my vote.

I've always used the tacops rest and then if needed; i cut and tape down strips of foam underneath it to achieve the right height. Little more time consuming and old school maybe but also isn't permanent.

Polinese said:
Little more time consuming and old school maybe but also isn't permanent.

None of the options I'm looking at are truly permanent. Even the stocks if I were to drill them for the Kydex rest could be repaired. A little filler and paint, and you'd be hard pressed to know that they had holes drilled through the stock.

Thanks for the replies.

some

I've fooled with some. Fashioned one from insulite pad and duct tape for PsL, ugly as sin, but it works. Did the same thing for my 870 turkey gun, whose saddle type scope mount put the optic way above the bore, and the shotgun comb was way below. Even uglier than the PSL, but it works. Both priced right I might add.
My park had a couple of M1A rifles set up with 'scopes and bipods and we bought a very HD kydex adjustable riser for them, sorry, I cannot advise make. It was no big deal to drill the GI fiberglalss stocks and install the HD kydex rest.
When I was shooting F-T/R for a few brief years, I bought a heavy barrel Savage bolt .22 as a trainer and a fairly hefty scope 6-24X. I needed cheek rest and bought a thinner kydex model from some outfit. Not as heavy duty as the ones on the work rifles, but good enough for a .22 trainer. I'd have to look on the log book for the rifle, but it was Bubba's or Jethro's or some other redneck sort of named store. Not near any of my logbooks at this time.

hooligan1 said:
If it were me, I'm gonna reach out to famous knifemaker/ leather savant, Todd Thayne.
Todd's busy as all heck. A bunch of kids, wife, and real job to keep him busy. The knife making and leathercraft is just a hobby.

I'll tell him you like his work, when I meet up with him at the end of the month. Just don't cut your finger playing with that knife.

I have used the Beartooth on a shotgun and it made a difference; the kit, IIRC, comes with several thicknesses of pads to use under the neoprene sleeve

Probably not what you want, but what I am currently using.

I shoot a few rimfire disciplines that require using a lot more height over bore (because large scopes) than the stocks were designed for, at least in the "factory" type classes that I like.

To make sure I do not "modify" my stocks in any way, I use Blackhawk lace-on cheek pads and then stuff a bit of textile-based insulation under it for the height that I desire. (The fibrous insulation mats made of shredded cloth and thread scraps.)

(Edit: While posting a link in another thread, I realized that I screwed this one up. It has been fixed.)
Blackhawk IVS Cheek Pad

Great? No.
Best option? No.
Good enough and within the rules that I must meet? Yes.
But they don't give me trouble. Once the nylon takes a 'set' on the stock, it stays put pretty well.

Last edited:
hooligan1 said:
That knife is so sharp, I leave it in my safe..

Like I tell my wife a sharp knife is a safe one. I bet you'll skin a deer this fall with it.

FrankenMauser said:
(Edit: While posting a link in another thread, I realized that I screwed this one up. It has been fixed.)
Blackhawk IVS Cheek Pad

I've tried a riser comparable to that one in the past. Biggest issue I had with it was the elastic bands the velcro was attached on. Eventually I had the elastic wear out and sag. That's why I'm looking for a lace on type, I can keep it tight on the stock and replace easily if needed.

Back