Cheek piece pros and cons

TheDutchman19

I have ordered a McMillian A5 as the platform for a new 6.5x47. When it I ordered it I had decided that the cheek piece would be the adjustable saddle type. Now two weeks later I'm second guessing my decision. I am leaning towards the thumb-wheel adjustable option.

I am over thinking it? Other than aesthetics, is there a down side to either of them?

I honestly prefer the saddle / wrap over style. The cheek piece is a 'set and forget' feature; your eyeball position relative to the scope is all that matters here. Unless you're in the habit of handing the rifle off to other people to shoot, I don't see the need for the wheel adjustment.

On mine, I've made a reference mark so that when I drop it down for bolt removal (remington 700) for cleaning, I can slide it back up to where it needs to be and lock it down. No adjustment tinkering.

Ditto!!

A raised cheekpiece should be standard equip on all precision rifles. Getting solid behind the scope is fundamental to good shooting

I think the ability to adjust that height quickly is an over-rated feature. Once you find the correct spot leave it there. Obviously you may need to lower or remove the cheekpiece to remove the bolt. Other then that, it doesnt need to move

IMHO

Back