Checked Luggage, Handgun

Anth

Inactive
My first foray into checking my handgun with the airline. I have the approved case and locks, contacted the airline and am prepared as I can be. However I'm curious as to how I'll retrieve the firearm upon arrival at my destination. Domestic travel. Any suggestions or input?

If it is a handgun in a small case, you will have it locked in the case UNLOADED and inform the agents at the counter that you have a firearm to declare. They will create a special tag and tape it to the case and ask you to lock it into your checked bag (don't forget the lock for your checked bag). You may have to wait while they run a special check if the firearm case, so plan extra time and be patient.

When you get to your destination, you will pick up your checked bag at baggage claim like normal.

The ticket agents have been very professional and helpful.

At least that's been my experience with Southwest.

I'm curious as to how I'll retrieve the firearm upon arrival at my destination. Domestic travel. Any suggestions or input?

You go to the baggage claim area and get your bag. Just like any
other piece of checked luggage. You do want to wait until you
leave the terminal building before you retrieve the gun from the bag---

Be careful with that one.

Florida prohibits having a gun anywhere in the airport building unless it's in your luggage.

Other states may have similar rules

AFS

I've flown Frontier (ew), Delta and American.

All have the same policy.

Needs to be in a locked hard case. Pelican, yes. Factory or Plano? No.
A case that's hard and not flimsy, has holes for locks, and clips that clip tightly. Pelican is air tight. That's basically what they hint at all the time.

Ammo needs to be in a separate location in the checked bag and needs to be in the factory box that it either came in, any factory box in general, or those plastic boxes. No loose ammo.

Gun, unloaded in the case and ammo, in a factory-like packaging.

Locks! Non-TSA locks. I'll get to that in a minute.

You tell the desk agent that you have a firearm you need to declare. Most of the time they're calm and give you a tag to sign and date stating that it's unloaded and yours.

You'll either be walked to TSA where they're do one of two things.

One, they'll grab the bag after you tagged your firearm case yourself, and run it through the X-ray machine. Then you'll be on your way as normal.

Two, they'll open your bag while you're there and ask you to open the case IF they need you to. Usually they don't, at least not in my experience.
Federally only YOU can have access to your firearm. They know this. So they keys to that gun need to stay on you at all times. Anyways, they'll check through the bag and then clear you.
I lock that bag too. They ask you to open it. No biggie.

My gear, holsters, knives, flashlight without the batteries in it, (batteries are in my pocket), stays in the luggage as usual.

All done. :)

Good advise everyone. The only thing I would add, is have a print out of the airlines and the TSA regulations, re. firearms in checked luggage. That way if there are any questions you have a copy of the rules in hand.

I did that the first time too. ^ If mean, for your first time I guess you could do that. But they've gone through it hundreds of times already. I didn't need it. :P

I have only flown with firearms a couple times and it has been awhile ago, so this may not apply........but...........

My locked firearm case did not just come out on the baggage carousel with my other luggage. I had to go to the airline desk in the baggage claim area to get it. It was the same every time I did it.

I will add that it was a total non-event. Nobody cared and they acted like it was done all the time. I expected some drama, but there was none.

One thing that shocked me one time that I flew with firearms: when the TSA guy inspected it, he said: it will be a miracle if that gun is still there when you arrive at your destination, or something to that effect. Leading me to believe that it is common to have firearms stolen. I have never heard of anyone's firearms being stolen, but that is what he said.

If you go to the NYC airports ,ship the handguns ahead or you probably will loose them !!
It might be good to ship all guns ahead !

Be careful flying into NYC, NJ, or other states that require handgun registration and ban carry without a license. You will be OK until you claim your bag, but as soon as you take possession of the bag, you can be arrested by local police for illegal possession of a handgun and concealed carry without a license. The airlines routinely notify local police that a passenger has a gun in his luggage; what the police do is up to them.

This is especially important if your plane is diverted to an unfriendly state and you have to put up at a hotel overnight. As soon as you take possession of your bag (it would presumably have overnight needs in it as well), you can be arrested and jailed.

Jim

Back