Check one off the list!

Cheapshooter

In trying to correct my foolishness of younger years I have been looking for replacements for firearms long gone before I realized how important my rule number one is.
Today at a gun show I just happened on to one of my quests. The second shotgun that I called my own from the time I was in my early teens. A Stevens 311 16 guage. This one is a 311a, pre s/n, and in very good+ condition. The wood is near perfect, and the metal only has very slight blue wear at the muzzle, and a couple very small scratches, or more like nicks a couple inches back from the muzzle.
Not really sure if it was a good deal, OK deal, or I got hosed. He wanted $500, but I didn't have cash so there would be a 3% "plastic" fee. I offered the five plastic, and all which he not only agreed to, but actuall knocked another ten off for an OTD price of $490.
As I posted a while back, I found a Winchester 97 that I was wanting because I first started hunting with my Dad's old 97.
Now my next scattergun quest is to replace my first "all my own" shotgun. Another Stevens. This one, a model 59 tube magazine 410 bolt gun.

I have bought and sold I don't know how many guns, and out of all of them that have left I only regret selling two. I didn't have a shotgun that was right for me until my fifth one, and I still have that one 51 years later. Most of them, I haven't missed, at all.

Nothing wrong with a good 311. I learned how to shoot a shotgun on a 311 16ga when I was 9. Still have it too. Man that thing can throw a buckshot pattern. From time to time I pull it out of the safe over my 1100, A5's, or 870's. Nostalgia I guess. This deer season, I'm wanting to kill a whitetail with my grandfather's father's Winchester 12 from 1923 by SN. Just be kinda cool to have pictures laying around from multiple generations with the only thing in common is pleasure in deer hunting and that shotgun.

Dad

My Dad shot a 16 ga 311 for awhile, but never liked it. He traded the double on a Savage 67 pump, also 16 ga. After a bit, since I was shooting .410 (rabbits ahead of beagles, a Mossberg bolt which broke, , and then a Savage bolt, which also broke) he bought a Savage .410 pump for himself as well. We killed a slew of rabbits with .410, we sure did.

Best memories with my Dad revolve around those hunts and those two beagles.
Thanks for memory tickler.

My bucket list shotgun is a Savage 311....in .410

My list is strange but has deep meaning to me. The 2 bolt actions were owned by cousins who both died very young. The pump was my 1st shotgun at 14.

1) 16ga Remington 870 Wingmaster w/fixed mod choke.
2) Savage (Revelation) .410 Bolt Action with blind Mag. (1970's)
3) Savage 12ga Bolt Action with removable magazine and poly style choke

Would think these would be easy but..........

I've got the 311 20 ga. that belonged to my grandfather. Dad and I couldn't afford two guns so I always borrowed Papa's. It's not rare or valuable but I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Back