cheapest 1911 style auto?

imq707s

What is the cheapest 1911 style auto you can get? I'm looking for a dirt cheap 1911 that I can customize my self. I will just do a little at a time until I've got a great 1911. Is there such thing as a dirt cheap 1911? It doesn't even relly need to work all that great, just as long as all of the parts are there. Anyone know where I can get one of these? Thanks.

Charles Daly and IAI (Israeli Arms Inc) are both pretty inexpensive, but you might do better to pick up a good used name brand.

Avoid Norincos. People who have owned them tell me they are not a POS, they are what you find UNDER a POS.

If you're doing a project gun, you can buy all the pieces from custom makers and spread your costs out.

Keep in mind that you get what you pay for most of the time. Cheap usually = junk. Stay away from Auto Ordnance. Totally out of spec on every one I've seen. My experience with Norinco is different. Only problem was the very hard slide when I milled for new sights.

I don't know where the POS label comes from for the Norinco, they are actually an excellent base to build a custom gun. I'd second the knock on AO, although they were purchased by Kahr, and their new guns may be worth a look, since they'll be done on modern CNC machinery. If I had your requirements, I think I'd look for a used Springfield and use it as a base for your customizations.

I have extensive experience with a friend's IAI 5" "government model". It has all the mods- extended everything, chrome frame, front slide serrations- it looks gawky and unwieldy to me. The controls are coarse. Working the action sounds like fingernails on a blackboard. The sights are small. But it shoots like the Dickens! It is the equal in accuracy of any handgun I've ever fired. I believe my friend paid $300 for it, NIB. And never a malfunction in over 5000 rounds. I have heard very mixed reports regarding the Charles Daly line of inexpensive 1911's. Norinco's seem to be politically offensive to many, but loved dearly by (seemingly) most owners. Many custom pistolsmiths will work on Norinco's 1911 and not on others (auto-ordnance, for example) allegedly because of the quality of the steel. Perhaps Kahr can work their CMC magic on auto-ordnance now that the former has absorbed the latter.
vanfunk

Charles Daly

I have written so much about my Charles Daly, I wish the search option was working. My Daly has performed flawlessly since day one, and that is with both FMJ and HydraShoks. Fit and finish is on par with the SA "Loaded" pistols. The same month I bought mine my brother bought a SA "Loaded" the only thing better on the SA was the wood grips. I'll take my Charles Daly any day.

I have a friend that has two 'Chucks" that he shoots in pin matches and has not had any problems with them. Some of teh Dalys have been alittle rough but you can say that about any makers pistols.

As to Norincos, I have two of them and I have been most pleased with them. The slides are harder than billy be damned but they function just fine. When they were being imported many custom shop used them for their pistols.

Stay away from AO. However Kahr bought them from Numrich/Gun Parts and has introduced their line of 1911A1's with the Thompson name. I have not seen them but if Kahr can get AO's pistols in line with those wearing the Kahr name, they may have something.

AMT hardballer.
It comes with some good refinements already. For the money, I do not think it can be beat. It is also American made, & stainless steel. You won't have to do much to make it custom. Perhaps change the grips to suit you and all else will be fine.

I found a new Norinco several months ago and I love it. It shoots very accurately and functions just fine. The magazines are crappy but that's nothing to remedy. The pistol shoots fine with the Shooting Star, Mec-Gar and Colt mags I already had.

I also don't know where you heard that Norincos were a POS. It's a good base gun to build on--mine has STI lockworks, Brown grip safety, KKM barrel, etc. I have found the Norincos to be closer to 1911 specs than many other guns, including Kimbers. Most parts drop in nicely.

Just buy a good frame and slide to build on. Caspian or something similar. For a little more than you'll pay for a poorly made gun you'll get a good foundation to build on.

Heck, you'll be throwing away half of the gun anyway.

If you want to shoot it in the meantime, I understand. But you'd end up with a better end result if you start with a quality frame and slide.

AMT Hardballer?

I was trying to find some more information about the Hardballer recently, and couldn't find a website for it... anyone able to point me to the site?

Thanks...

-Moss

I bought one of the Argentine 1927's which is an exact clone made on Colt machinery, intially under Colt supervision. Wonderful pistol and good steel. All after market parts will fit. I put in a STI trigger, a new hammer and sear, a Kart ez fit match barrel, slim-tech grips,a springco recoil spring, and new sights. The thing will out shoot pistols costing hundreds of dollars more. The basic pistol can be had for as little as $300 dollars if you look around.

Ever consider a used Colt or a beat up GI 1911A1? Both can be salty in top condition, but a lot of beaters are out there that would be fine for building on.

BTW, I have put several thousand rounds through two Norincos with zero problems and no significant wear. They are tough guns.

Jim

I agree, Llama!!!! Saw one, NIB, the other day for just over 200.00 at a dealer's store. If you get tired of fixing it up, you can always use it for a sinker!!

Hmm, I have a buddy in Dallas who has a Norinco. He will <i>not</i> sell it! I wish that he would (to me) :)
Bob

Mine is a FireStorm (formerly Llama). I paid $300 for a compact, dual tone model. I have had no problems with it whatsoever and Colt parts will interchange.

Back