Cheapest 12 gauge pump that works?

Model12Win

Hello everyone!

What is the least expensive 12 gauge pump shotgun that is still considered "reliable" and is offered in a short barrel for home defense use?

The budget is... strained right now, shall we say... and I need a home defense weapon that is better than the few handguns I have. I own a PTR-91 GI .308, God knows it COULD do the job but I have neighbors very nearby and my new apartment has thin walls. I have some Hornady TAP 110 grain "Urban" ammunition for my PTR-91 but most I've spoken with still think this would overpenetrate my apartment. I'm thinking a #4 buck or one of the heavy birdshot loads would be right up my alley for HD use.

I have no price range in mind, but like I said... I really want about the least expensive newly made 12 gauge pump shotgun with a short barrel that is still considered "good" or "reliable".

Thank you all so much! :D

With your handle [finest pump ever made], number posts [almost 1500], I am surprised at this question...:confused::confused::(

My Model 12 is a sweetie, but I've had it crap out on my several times lately.

It wants to double feed on a fairly regular basis. Not sure why. As much as I like it, I think it will be for sale soon.

I'm wanting a more modern gun that is very inexpensive but still reliable.

Model 12, I understand, you probably have ran at least, 150 thousand rounds through your shotgun. It's time for a "Good" "Model 12" gunsmith to check it out. Unfortunately most of the "Good""Model 12" smiths, have died 20 years ago.

that's an easy one....the H&R pardner pump. i paid 100$ for mine, well used, and have bet it half to death over the last two years. shot nothing but tons and tons of buckshot through it, never a single hiccup and never a strip and clean, just some oil and a snake every once in awhile. it's heavy, no frills but runs like a champ. no regrets, would buy another in a heartbeat. and the poster above said 131 BRAND NEW @ buds!!!! don't pass that up, this thing is a rock for real.
points and shoots as it should. i have no problem keeping up busting clays all day with my buddies all running their rem's and moss's

Check your local Pawn Shops and small Gun Shops. Ought to be able to find a used Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 cheap. They've made millions of the things over the years.

My Model 12 is a sweetie, but I've had it crap out on my several times lately.

It wants to double feed on a fairly regular basis. Not sure why. As much as I like it, I think it will be for sale soon.

I'm wanting a more modern gun that is very inexpensive but still reliable.

Model 12,

Take a close look at PN#11012, (Cart, cutoff). If you turn your shotgun upside down, on the right-hand side Of the receiver, next to the magazine to you will see the cartridge cut off.

Last edited:
H&R Pardner Pump. I have shot the hell out of it and very little to no issues. I had one time that I can recall where the shotgun did not go bang. Im still unsure if it was the ammo or the gun. It is cheaper then most mavericks ive seen around its heavy and useful. One thing I would suggest to you that I have heard from a few people and I have come around too agreeing with is you might want to look into a 20 Gauge over the 12. The 12 is a great round but for living in an appartment I would worry about over penitration. Just something to consider. If I didnt have as much invested in my 12 I would be switching up to a 20 myself

Back