Cheaper Than Dirt

John/az2

Who of you all have purchased from this company, and how has your experience been?

------------------
John/az

"The middle of the road between the extremes of good and evil, is evil. When freedom is at stake, your silence is not golden, it's yellow..."

I've purchased from them before. Service is OK, but they ain't Cheaper Than Dirt anymore.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

I can recommend them - but like Gary, their prices ain't what they used to be. I bought a used rifle stock described as "like new" which looked like it had been drug down the road. I know I could have returned it and they would have gladly accepted it - but it wasn't worth the trouble. I'm curious - what company has "better" prices than CTD?

It depends on what you're looking for. If it's ammo, you might look at one of the places that only does ammo.

I don't always look for the cheapest prices. I also consider shipping charges (they should either be included, or it should be easy to figure what they are), sales tax (better be none), credit card surcharge(again, better be none, if I'm ordering on-line), how accurate and up-to-date their web site is (I don't like ordering stuff that they know they don't have).

John, I've used them, and they seem like a decent company. I don't think you'll be cheated or receive something you don't expect, if that's your worry. They do carry some unique stuff.

I'll bet all this rain is helping business, eh? ;)

I've heard great things about their customer service. Visited their site now and then, and I know I've seen cheaper prices, but their reputation is worth the (at times) equal or greater price. When they have a special running it's pretty hard to beat.
Can't always go by price alone tho. I (as a web store owner and frequent and lazy web shopper) want to know ALL charges before I type in my credit card info.
Geri Weaver

------------------
BlackHawk Authorized Dealer (BAD) - "Better than catalog" prices & free shipping http://www.geardup.com/gearedup.htm

I've used them a few times now. No problems yet, and my orders have always arrived quickly and I've always gotten exactly what I ordered in the condition I expected.

I've purchased items from CTD several times during the past two years and have had no problems whatsoever. Their prices, while not always the cheapest around (no firm can ever guarantee that in a highly competetive business), they're fair and are ususally right down there with others.

I'd certainly recommend them to a friend.

Nazman

I've never had a problem with them.

------------------
Bruce Stanton
CDR, USN-Ret.
Sgt., Kings Co. Sheriff - Ret.

same here. i've had no problems w/ them. some of the ammo i can get cheaper at my local shop by the time you add freight. but like i said, i don't guess i have anything bad to say about them.......

------------------
what me worry?

I have no experience with CTD's mail order operation. However, I visit CTD's store in Fort Worth about every two to three weeks. More often than not, they have what I'm looking for, which is usually ammunition. They may not always have the exact brands that I'm looking for, but they usually have something that I can go home with and be happy with.

I usually go in the early morning hours during the week when they aren't inundated with people stocking up on Y2K supplies. However, if you go in there on a Saturday or Sunday, be patient when waiting for someone to help you.

Like 4V50 Gary said, they ain't cheaper than dirt anymore on alot of their stuff. I guess that's just the result of supply and demand.

Their prices are either equal to or, at most, $1-$2 less per item as compared to other lower cost mail order places like Sportsman's Guide (sportsmansguide.com) and Brigade Quartermasters. Not really much to sway my decisions but they do, as mentioned, carry some harder to find stuff. Just ordered a holster, some P-38 3way can openers, and 10/22 ext mag releases from them this wkend. I'm also eyeing one of those Coleman Dual-Fuel burners for Y2K, too (just in case).

- Ron V.

------------------

I've ordered stuff off and on for several years. Their prices are about average, they do have some things nobody else does and I can't complain about the service. I have returned a couple things over the years, no problem.
One small problem they have is that catalogs are printed several months in advance. I have tried to order items which they no longer have and can't get anymore.
The thing to watch is the shipping cost. What seems like a great price on an item can turn out too much once you add the shipping. I usually only order when I'm ready to buy enough stuff to make the shipping cost worthwhile.

My only experience with them was not very good. I ordered a case of .223 ammo and the lady told me that it was backed ordered and would be about 3 weeks before it came in. I told her that was no problem and they also asked for a daytime phone number. I faxed them a copy of my drivers liscense the next morning and checked the transmital report to make sure that it went through. Six days before the ammo was due in, I received a notice in the mail saying that my order had been canceled due to not having a copy of my liscense. I call customer service and ask what was going on and the lady said that they had not received my fax. When I told her that the transmital report said that it went through ok, then she said that it probably came in too dark or light to read. I asked why they didn't call me and she said that they were way too busy to do that.

So I made sure that they had indeed canceled the order and ordered it from someone else who had it in stock with cheaper shipping.

It did not seem that customer service was a top priority.

The last few times I've been in there, they've been out of most ammo. The one thing I did see was used USGI 20 round mags for $39.95 each. I think I can find some cheaper dirt!

Those dual burners are great! I use them occasionally to fry fish and stuff outside so it doesn't smell up the house. Plus on a full can they can burn up to 3 hours with a very high flame on regular car gasoline. Highly recommend all to get one.

If you're talking about camp stoves, check out the MSR backpacker stove available from Recreational Equipment Inc (REI). It burns white gas, kerosene, and automobile gas. Now that's versatile.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Back