Cheap Utility Gun

mk70ss

I just picked this Taurus up as an all around utility piece. I know....many of you hate Taurus. I got it for a great price NIB. Its a 941 in .22 magnum, an eight shot. The SA trigger pull is actually great. The DA pull is pretty heavy, but at least smooth. Shoots to point of aim too.

Nice! What is your intended purpose for it? Not sure I understand what is meant by "utility" gun. Will it be like a truck gun, or a gun that goes with you when fishing..? Just a general spare?

Great find .. I like Taurus revolvers ... I have a 605 in my safe at this time!!
22 mag is a fine utility cartridge..
I have a Heritage 22 mag single action that is on my side while doing chores and yardwork

Lee, we have a 20 acre ranch and a lot of snakes are around in the late spring and summer. I generally carry a .22 revolver around the property for that. Also, we are a ways out of town and response times for police are in the 15-20 minute range. So I feel better toting a small gun when I am out working on the property. Also it will go in the glovebox of our Kawasaki Mule when we go out in the woods with it.

I've always thought the .22 in a short handgun was pretty wimpy, but the 22 mag, although pretty loud, at least brings velocity back up to .22LR rifle power. I carried one around a small ranch I lived and worked on and found it did a fine job on porcupines, gophers and the occasional grouse. I think they make a pretty decant gun to take along fishing or to make finishing shots on big game.

didnt taurus buy the old tooling to smith and wesson? seems like i remember reading that somewhere. Anyway i always thought taurus revolvers werent a bad deal for the money

I have owned many Taurus revolvers. Only one was unreliable. The rest were reliable, but many had stiff DA triggers, which doesn't really matter on a non-SD revolver. A few had very good triggers and have served me very well indeed.

Congratulations on a good find! :)

Way back in the '70's, one of the gun magazines did an article on a nearly identical revolver, except it was a High Standard, in 22 magnum, and they claimed it was more powerful than a 38 S&W. Not to be confused with 38 Special, mind you. Apparently, the 22 WMR, in a handgun, is more potent than most would guess.

Kit Gun

There was a day when such a revolver was commonly called a "Kit Gun", S&W marketed a revolver sith such a monicker in fact. In a tackle box, glove box, on the belt,..... they just went along when one went about the wilds. The kit gun wasn't tactical, for "SD" or protection from dangerous wildlife, it was just there.

Your new pistol looks great, congrats. Another reply mentioned a High Standard revolver that was similar....that would be the Sentinal. Always wanted one.

Myself, I'd have a bit of trouble with that short barrel, and shooting well, but it sure will carry easily enough. The .22 mag in a handgun was a bit of surprise to me. I put the .22 mag cylinder in a Single Six just for grins one day, and it has stayed there ever after. Not efficient in a handgun, the .22 mag still improves enough on the .22 lr in my longer tubed revolver for me to consider it as a viable combination as a pest and GP revolver afield......a kit gun...utility gun.

Utility gun = a gun carried around to shoot things that need to be shot. Should be 10 gauge or smaller and 17 caliber or larger. Must be a handgun, rifle or shotgun and go bang if loaded and trigger pulled.

I recently bought a Taurus Model 83 Combat (.38 Spcl) at an auction for $200. Plans were to teach my wife how to shoot with it. Figured it would make a good "beater" gun, then maybe buy her something nice. Well, I like it so much, I plan to keep it. I've owned three Taurus handguns, still have two, and have had very good luck with them.

Never been a Taurus fan, but if confronted in a situation where my well-being was being threatened, I'd choose that Taurus of yours over a stick any day. ;)

Utility gun, for me, means a smaller sized gun, conveniently carried, always on my person for use when a situation arises in which the gun is appropriate for its intended purpose. In other words, a 10 gauge shotgun or .50 caliber pistol is not suitable for carrying about and shooting a possum or rat in my barn.

Last edited:
That's a darn nice little gun. I had one in 22 LR with a 4" barrel from about the same time period. Those Taurus guns from the time when they put those nice wood grips on them were pretty good gun I've found.

Looks nice with the wood grips. I have the newer version in .22LR and in .327 Magnum -- wish I could find wood grips because the rubber grips are so ugly I can't stand to take them out of the safe to shoot.

Back