cheap targets "golf balls"

NHSHOOTER

I had read that golf balls make good targets for 22 lr shooting. Well today I screwed some sheet rock screws into some cheap golf balls I got at walmart and hung them from my target stand at 100 yds, Shot them with 223 and 243, they hold up very well. After about 5 hits with the 243 hollow points they get pretty tattered but I was really surprised that the strings never popped.

My friends and I glue paint balls to index cards and shoot them at ranges up to 200 yards. You can tell immediately when you hit one.

The Grandkids like golf balls almost as much as fresh garden veggies(for targets). I also got a bag of the foam golf balls and set them on Tees for the pellet rifle targets.

I had read that golf balls make good targets for 22 lr shooting. Well today I screwed some sheet rock screws into some cheap golf balls I got at walmart and hung them from my target stand at 100 yds, Shot them with 223 and 243, they hold up very well. After about 5 hits with the 243 hollow points they get pretty tattered but I was really surprised that the strings never popped.
You can get used range balls off ebay for really cheap if your patient. And modern golf balls have solid cores, no rubber strings.

Saltine crackers. I throw out handfuls on the 50 yard and 100 yard berms at my shooting club.....and the fun begins. With an accurate rimfire rifle, you can shoot holes in them, chip off corners, even make them jump. At the end of it, no cleanup needed, as they are biodegradable.

Saltine crackers. I throw out handfuls on the 50 yard and 100 yard berms at my shooting club.....and the fun begins. With an accurate rimfire rifle, you can shoot holes in them, chip off corners, even make them jump. At the end of it, no cleanup needed, as they are biodegradable.

Yep. Also a dozen or so "Goldfish" hot glued to a paper plate at 100 yards is also biodegradable, aka 'fish in a barrel'.

What I like for cheap targets is ice cubes with a bit of cool aide or food coloring.

Cost latterly nothing. They blow apart nicely and don't leave a mess on the range (or pasture).

Zero Clean up.

I hate going to the range or BLM lands and finding shot up crap laying around.

Not indicating people here do that, but any trip a field will show you what I mean.

I know what you mean kraig but I shoot at on private property and its always cleaner when I leave than when I got there.

When we had a place to shoot that allowed creative targets to be used, I made them out of plaster of paris.
All kinds of shapes, sizes and colors are possible, only limited by one's imagination.
Bottle caps, cookie cutters, just about anything served as molds.
Just the bad weather activity to keep kids and grand-kids busy, too.

Another thing to consider,will cattle or other critters ever graze over this land?
Drywall screws and golf ball hulls might be hard on a cow's innards,not to mention if the land owner or grazing rights lessee takes notice,your welcome may be lost.
And I also assume in good faith you clean up.The last bit might get overlooked.
A Ritz cracker or lollipop is about the same size.So is an egg.They react.
With time,they disappear and do no harm.
No heartburn,no criticism.
Just,please consider the impact of what is left behind.

My friends and I always use clays. You can get a 100 clay box for less than $20 bucks and just hang them. Great for all calibers and gives you an easy to see target that still requires skill because it is quite small. And easy to see when they are hit because they generally shatter.

I'd give the clay pigeons a "depends,maybe"On private land,with permission,do whatever the landowner is happy with.
Anywhere else,they are conspicuous litter.I don't know the formulation now,but in years past the box warned they are toxic to livestock.
The Ranger would not like them in the Pawnee National Grasslands in Colorado.

Folks,those self healing plastic reactive targets,balls,squares,etc dance around and leave nothing behind.They do cost some,but compared to ammo....

I'd give the clay pigeons a "depends,maybe"On private land,with permission,do whatever the landowner is happy with.
Anywhere else,they are conspicuous litter.I don't know the formulation now,but in years past the box warned they are toxic to livestock.
The Ranger would not like them in the Pawnee National Grasslands in Colorado.

Folks,those self healing plastic reactive targets,balls,squares,etc dance around and leave nothing behind.They do cost some,but compared to ammo....

Ah yes, I should have mentioned, private range. In woods not near farmland. So that which you mentioned would be a very important thing to keep in mind.

I'm quite fond of expended 1# propane tanks. Our range requires a hole to be punched in it first, so I do that and leave it outside for a day to let the mercaptan smell to dissipate.

They really dance around with pistol calibers.

Big russet potatoes. They explode, come with adjustable bases for shooting on uneven/inclined terrain, are very cheap and critters love them.
haven't met a kid yet who's face hasn't got a grin after shooting some:)

Honewdew melons. Solid interior (versus pumpkins, which have a lot of air) and hard outer shell.

Back