Cheap H&K

headroom

Has anyone else seen these H&K G3's built on an american made, semi auto reciever? SOG international and Burns Bros have them in the latest gun list for about $600. It seems to me that the parts are used but i wonder how badly used, the ad says "like new" but who knows what that means. Does anybody know where they are assembled, if the guns are all metric or standard or a mix of part, what the receiver is made of? Anything you can tell me would be appreciated.

Check out Rob's earlier thread entitled, Federal Arms HK91 clone.

Since the guns are built with parts taken from retired military rifles, they're metric.

I have seen these rifles and if they are the built on the Federal Arms reciever, they are very UGLY. The reciever is a flat-top made from aluminium that they claim is "20% stronger" than the original "cheap sheet metal stamping." Oddly, they don't state what aluminium alloy was used or heat treat level attained. Also claimed is that "only a hand drill required" to assemble.
If they ask $395 for the bare reciever and you throw in a $150 parts kit, you're already up to $545. That doesn't leave a whole lot of money for assembly, refinishing, and profit if they want $600 for a complete rifle.
I've seen some of these complete rifles, also and they look worse than the recievers alone. Most look like a hand drill WAS used to make the holes in the reciever used to pin the barrel in place. On that note, most these use two pins, vertically, one on either side of the reciever, instead of one positioned horizontally and low like HK. They look like they were refinished with a can of automobile underbody spray.
Hesse arms is advertising a HK-91/G3 reciever that appears to be pretty close to the original, at least from the photos. They're asking $379, but none of the local shops have actually seen one of these. If it is a good as it looks, I'll buy one, but not the Federal arms type.

Back