Cheap Borescope.

Hdonly

I saw this on e-bay and thought " What the heck. It's worth a try." Well for $13+ bucks, it's darn well worth it. How many times have you wished you could see just a little better down a rifle barrel or...... well... where ever?

Attachments

• 2017-01-10-150847.jpg
    2017-01-10-150847.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 191
  • 2017-01-10-150912.jpg
    2017-01-10-150912.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 186
  • 2017-01-10-151310.jpg
    2017-01-10-151310.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 168
Is that from one of the little camera thingies that you plug into a cell phone with a light on the end?

Only issue I see with that is that you are looking down the bore instead of looking at the barrel's interior surface. So yes, that is an inspection scope inside of a rifle bore, but it's not like a rifle bore scope.

Yes, it will work with your smart phone or a computer. Just plugs into a usb port. Has the mini usb and 2.0 usb plug with an on/off switch on the cable. It's cheaper if you get a shorter cable. I bought the 5m cable. I'm going to pull a spark plug out of my Harley and stick it in the cylinder. Then I will call it a cylinder inspection scope. If I'm looking down the bore of a rifle, I'm going to call it a bore scope. Works for me.

What brand is it? I've been looking at these but haven't got one yet. Some have the option of a 90 degree mirror attachment which would be great for looking at barrel throats.

Haha Doyle. Actually mine is a 1978 Shovelhead and it has run ever since 1978. Still runs. It is actually the only motorcycle that has never left me stranded out of all the Hondas, Yamahas, BSAs, and Kawasakis that I have owned over the years. Owned this one since the early 1990's.
xxc_rider, see how well it works that you can see how dirty those guns are?

You guys crack me up-haha

Attachments

• P3070932.resized.JPG
    P3070932.resized.JPG
    197.8 KB · Views: 87
Thank you Doyle. I do have to work on it to keep stuff from falling off. My friend has a Goldwing and tells everyone that the big trunk on the back is for Harley parts he picks up behind me. But he is always behind me!

Camera on a cord

Those darn things are handy as a pocket. Nothing beats em if you have an older home, esp. one that has been remodeled.

Wanna see what's on the other side of that stud? Just drill a small hole and stick it in there. Some are waterproof and are available with a long USB cord. Sewer troubles? Put it on the end of a plumbers snake and have a look see.

My mechanic used one to diagnose a leaky head gasket. Could see the leak from inside the cylinder.

Very handy tool!

I have an 1891 Argentine Mauser that I got from my Dad. It is the first gun I ever fired way back when I was in the third grade. Lot's of surplus corrosive ammo fired through this rifle over the years without understanding the proper cleaning methods.Just looking down the barrel, it still looks fairly good. Shoving this scope down the barrel tells a much different story.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2017-01-19 10-27-43.resized.png
    Screenshot from 2017-01-19 10-27-43.resized.png
    167.9 KB · Views: 64
I have two of the cheap USB 'borescopes' that I assume are very similar to, if not just like, yours.

They work, and can be useful.

The biggest problems with them are:
1. The image isn't that great.
2. The focal length is all wrong for firearm inspection, so what you want to look at is always out of focus.
3. The LED lights are either too bright, or totally useless.
4. The 90-degree mirror attachment won't work in anything smaller than ~26 caliber; and it'll all be blurry anyway.
5. My wife walked in with a sandwich, and I forgot number five...

I found that it helps the image a lot if you wad up a piece of white cleaning patch and push it a little at a time with the camera and then back up the camera. It spreads the light better and allows more detail. Yes the mirror is total crap.

I tried one of those and did not like the lack of detail.

Did some searching and Amazon let me have a Lyman Digital Borescope for $149 and free shipping. The images are excellent and just what I needed to replace my older one that was on its way to retirement.

Back