Cheap Ammo

Big Ken

Does anyone shoot Wolf brand ammo ? Russian made I believe 500 rnds. 45acp, for $69.00 on internet, or American ammo co. 500 rnds. for about $74.oo in the sportsmans guide .

just wonderin if these are quality rounds & if anyone knows of any less expensive quality ammo ? Thanks

Some people will tell you to avoid Wolf, but I have had nothing but good experiences with it. I shoot a lot of it in 223 Rem. As for American Ammunition, STAY AWAY FROM IT! It's total crap.

I've had exactly the opposite experience and opinion from PreserveFreedom. American Ammunition has been nothing but great in my Glocks, and the Wolf has been satisfactory. The thing that I dislike the most about the Wolf was the stench the burnt powder created.

Here is my anecdotal experience so far in recent times.

I am partial to MagTech, even though I don't generally buy foreign ammunition (bought my first box before I realized it was made in Brazil). I have used only the 180 grain FMJ and HP's in .40 S&W. It is clean, and has been 100 percent reliable so far for me.

A friend just got me some 9x19 FMJ from Sellier & Bellot (Czech). It was only $4.99 a box on a special sale from Natchez. I haven't tried it. I've seen some posts r.e. [sic] "squid":), (squib) loads with it but my friend says he has never had one. It gets a good reputation.

I personally like Winchester and Federal ammunition.

American Eagle seems o.k., but I like MagTech, Winchester, Federal better (they seem a little cleaner).

I find UMC to be VERY dirty (and I hate cleaning guns). I would use it if it was a last resort.

Years ago, when I was a firearms instructor, our agency used a lot of .38 spl 3-D factory reloads in our trainees' revolvers for range work, and had great results with them - better results than with some factory new ammo. If I recall, we had something like 3 rounds out of several thousand that didn't go bang. Nowadays, I've seen posts that were pretty derogatory of the 3-D rounds. I don't use reloads in any of my semi-autos, especially the Glock, and we won't get into that issue here. Based on what I've heard about 3-D lately, I'd avoid it.

-10CFR

Thanks guys, I may give these brands of ammo a try, at those prices I can at least give them a chance, since it is just for target practice, I think for the more serious side I'll load it up with Hydra shoks.

I shoot Wolf 9x18mm in my Makarov. This ammo is specificly what the gun was made to fire. Both the weapon, and the steel cased Wolf ammo were designed from the get go to function together. It's like using genuine GM parts in your daddy's Oldsmobile. :D As such, it performs flawlessly.

I'll second the good words on the MagTech. Never had anything but very good results from that ammo, both in .45 ACP and 9mm. Since it's priced about the same as Wolf and American, I'd recommend you give it a try.

Also, it's usually not too hard to find Sellier and Bellot (sp?) for a decent price. I think it's about the best of the "cheap" ammo.

As others have said, avoid American Ammunition. Nothing but problems. I make this comment every chance I get. How a company can get away with selling such a crappy product is beyond me. I will crusade against them until the day I die, or the day the sun burns out and life ceases to exist on earth, whichever comes first.

(Note: American Ammunition does not = American Eagle.)

Back