Cheap .357 blank

g20gunny

I am planning to build a 16" 357 mag bbl for my savage switch barrel setup for my son as a plinker that will double as a fun barrel for knocking down silhouettes. while looking for a cheap blank I noticed that the green mountain 9mm barrel is only $35 while their .357 blank is closer to $100. I know this is still cheap but $35 sounds much better for what we'll be doing with it. I considered just doing a 9mm but I already have a bolt face for the .357 and would have to get a .223 bolt face for the 9mm. I also like the extra knock down power of the 180 gr .357 mag. So my question to you is do any of you know of a cheap barrel blank supplier that fits my needs? Blanks would need to be 1.15" or thicker for my receiver.

I know I will get flak but I will say it. If the money makes a big difference, buy the 9mm blank and chamber it for .357. The grove diameter of the 9mm is .355, the .357 is .357, and .002" won't make a bit of difference for accuracy as long as the chamber is throated properly.

Jim

I have considered this and cast most of what I shoot so casting .356 instead of .358 will not be a problem, my main concern is shooting a hot jacketed load with a lot of bearing surface like the 180-200 gr stuff that concerns me with pressure. Realistically we're talking a 1" bull bbl with a fully supported chamber so pressure isn't as big of a concern as it would be on a light revolver frame. I also want to be able to safely shoot factory ammo with no concerns. Also this may result in some lost accuracy. Does anyone have any experience with shooting .357 jacketed through a .355 tube?

pressure of 9mm standard is 35kpsi max

9mm +p 38.5kpis max

357mag 35kpsi max

don't quote me, double check

20$ gets you a .356 sizing die, although I don't think .357jacketed will be an issue

A one inch tube in .357 or 9mm will have a lot thicker chamber/barrel wall than any .357 revolver that I know of. I can't imagine any pressure concerns either way.

Jim

Back