cheap 22 revolver

The Taurus 94 is a very nice little revolver. I had a 2in blued version. $230 NIB. Thousands of rounds without any problem. Accurate and in my opinion much more reliable than any 22 pocket auto. I sold it and bought a Ruger Mark II. The Ruger has been fine, but I just may trade it for another Taurus 94.

I forgot to mention that a friend of mine has a Rossi 22 revo (stainless). I forget the model number, but I believe it has since been discontinued. He likes it, but it's picky about ammo (not something you'd expect from a revolver). It funtions well with a certain Winchester ammo (forget which), but binds up with other brands. Nevertheless, he likes it so he only shoots the winchester.

Why not consider a Ruger Single Six?

I did just that years ago to teach my wife shooting. I bought a used revolver in good shape for, I believe, $125 or $150.

It's a single action, not double action as your choices are, but it is accurate & fun to shoot. They are usually widely available & inexpensive.

You know what you get with a cheap .22 revolver?

A cheap .22 revolver.:(

I bought a Hi-Standard Sentinel in mint shape. The thing is, it had fixed sights and shot over a foot high at 25yds.:eek: There was no way to do anything with it except spend more than the gun cost to have some sort of an ungainly tall front sight welded up for it.

I once bought a stainless Rossi that looked like a M66 Smith in 1/2 scale. It functioned and fired just fine, but it could barely hit a soda can at 7yds. So, off it went.

I don't think the Taurus is a bad value, just make sure you get one with good timing on its 9rd. cylinder. At least they are all-steel, with adjustable sights. Since Rossi is now under the Taurus banner, maybe things have improved a bit. I don't know.

Have you thought about saving just a little more in your budget to seek out a used S&W? They've made a lot of J and K frame models over the years.:)

I agree with Victor, another C-note and some careful shopping could get you a S&W 34 in exc. condition. Of course, you would probably end up keeping it for yourself.

I recently purchased a used Ruger Single Six with the 5.5in barrel. I hadn't shot 22s for many years and had never shot a 22mag. I liked it a lot but I thought it could be more accurate so I traded in on a new model which was the same barrel length. This one is more accurate and I am having a ball with it! Averaging two range visits per week it cuts down on my ammo costs as well. So far it likes Fed Classic 22lr the best and I haven't determined which 22mag it likes yet. Having shot Glocks for many years its nice to look for the perfect looking wooden grips to make the Rugers really shine (it was hard getting those Ajax wooden grips to fit my Glocks). You can dress the Ruger single actions up real nice. You can buy a used Single Six for beans and you won't regret it.

Back