Cheap .22 bolt action w/ threaded barrel

longdude17

Gents,

I’m in the market for a good cheap .22 bolt action that has a threaded barrel. They seem to be few and far between. I’ve seen the Savage and while it’s a great gun, it’s rather pricey ($350ish around here).

What is y’all preference and why? I’d like to keep it under $250 tops (still gotta buy glass).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Academy lists the Ruger American at $269. I have a cpl
Of them, one a 17hmr and one a 22lr. Good rifle. Shoots better then the price would indicate.

My RAR in 17hmr is my fav prairie dog rifle. I run a Spectre II suppressor on it.

"My RAR in 17hmr is my fav prairie dog rifle. I run a Spectre II suppressor on it."

You have any problems with failure to extract? My RAR17HMR w/muffler only extracts consistently with CCI "GREEN" which seems to be loaded a bit lighter than the other 17 HMR ammo. EVERYTHING else fails to extract after the first round with the muffler in place.

If you aren't completely averse to ordering online, both the Savage 64 and Mark II come in an FV-SR arrangement. The 64 comes in well under $250 even when you add in an FFL transfer fee. The Mark II, it depends on the fee but it'll probably end up a smidge over depending on what your FFL charges.

64 FV-SR, $182.32 w/ free shipping
https://www.tombstonetactical.com/c....5in-10rd-black-threaded-barrel-1-piece-rail/

Mark II FV-SR, $234 w/ free shipping
https://www.centerfireguns.com/savage-mkiifvsr-22lr-threaded-bbl-28702.html?source=gundeals

There are cheaper options if you check out gun.deals, but I just picked two of the cheaper sites I have dealt with and had good experiences.

EDIT: Must have skimmed over the bolt part, so forget about the 64, but the Mark II is still a great deal.

Last edited:
If you've already got a 10/22, I'd get the Ruger American Rimfire since they share the same mags. Don't get a Marlin, they are terrible. Seriously, a Marlin today isn't worth more than $100.

As for scope, you don't need to spend a lot to get something good. I have a $40 Simmons .22 Mag I got at Walmart and the thing is excellent for .22.

Back