ChatGPT for gun questions

tangolima

I have been reluctant. Finally decided to give it a try for the heck of it. I have to say I'm quite impressed. It answers all my questions almost spot on, some of the questions are pretty convoluted. A few times the answers weren't totally correct or consistent. I agued and it admitted the error and even apologized.

Yeah you can carry out a pretty fluent conversation as if taking to somebody you know.

Try it yourself.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Perhaps you should ask it if talking to it about firearms and posting your experiences here is firearms related, or AI/search engine related.

Right now, I'm on the fence about that...:rolleyes:

Perhaps you should ask it if talking to it about firearms and posting your experiences here is firearms related, or AI/search engine related.

Right now, I'm on the fence about that...:rolleyes:

So far all the questions I have asked are on guns, ballistics, new calibers, twist rate, brass resizing etc. I have been impressed. That's my experience.

-TL

No thanks ...

I get enough wrong information and bad advice and questionable responses from real people ....

I don't need an additional source .
Gary

There is an active thread discussing bullet's performance being non yaw dependent. I entered an inquiry and got this back.

"When a bullet's terminal ballistics are described as "not yaw dependent," it means that the effectiveness or performance of the bullet upon impact with a target does not rely heavily on the bullet's yaw. Yaw is the angle between the bullet's longitudinal axis and its line of flight, often resulting in tumbling or wobbling motions.

In practical terms, this suggests that the bullet is designed to deliver consistent performance regardless of whether it strikes the target nose-first, at an angle, or in a tumbling motion. This is often a desirable characteristic for ensuring reliable and predictable penetration, expansion, or fragmentation in various impact scenarios."

Pretty good.

-TL

In practical terms, this suggests that the bullet is designed to deliver consistent performance regardless of whether it strikes the target nose-first, at an angle, or in a tumbling motion. This is often a desirable characteristic for ensuring reliable and predictable penetration, expansion, or fragmentation in various impact scenarios."

It seems like this is commonly discussed, but everything I see based on actual shots fired tell me that bullet yaw in/near target seems to lead to an early exit and minimal tissue damage.

That said, the question is more about bullet flight which the AI seems to have given a 12 yr olds definition of yaw effects. Actually a bullet with low yaw stability sees excessive wind resistance, which drives it off course and lowers the drag coefficient. This in turn increases dispersion….i.e. group size

Bullets that are “not yaw dependent” really just have a relationship between two points that I forget that tends to reduce yawing and stabilize the bullet. Now it is a 13yr olds definition!

This thread needs to remain on topic. Discussion about ChatGPT as a firearm resource, or the accuracy of ChatGPT's answers related to firearms, for example, are on topic. Discussion about AIs in general or ChatGPT in specific are not on topic.

I've tried a few of the AIs. This from ChatGPT

What is the difference between 223Rem and 5.56 Nato
ChatGPT
The .223 Remington and 5.56 NATO cartridges are closely related, but they have some key differences in terms of pressure, chamber dimensions, and intended use. Here’s a breakdown of the differences:

1. Pressure:
5.56 NATO: Loaded to higher pressures compared to .223 Remington. The maximum pressure for 5.56 NATO is around 58,000 psi.
.223 Remington: Typically loaded to lower pressures, with a maximum pressure of around 55,000 psi.
2. Chamber Dimensions:
5.56 NATO: The chamber is slightly larger and has a longer throat (the freebore) to accommodate the higher pressure and temperature of the 5.56 NATO cartridge. This design helps to safely handle the higher pressures and reduces the risk of pressure spikes.
.223 Remington: The chamber is tighter and has a shorter throat. Using 5.56 NATO ammunition in a .223 Remington chamber can potentially lead to higher chamber pressures and reduced accuracy.
3. Cartridge Case:
5.56 NATO: The case is designed to withstand the higher pressures and might have slightly thicker walls to handle the increased stress.
.223 Remington: The case is thinner compared to the 5.56 NATO to accommodate the lower pressures.
4. Ballistics and Performance:
5.56 NATO: Generally has a higher velocity and energy due to its higher pressure. This can result in slightly greater recoil and more potential wear on the firearm.
.223 Remington: Typically produces lower velocities and energy compared to 5.56 NATO, which may result in less recoil and potentially better accuracy in some rifles.
5. Safety and Compatibility:
5.56 NATO: Rifles chambered for 5.56 NATO can usually safely fire both 5.56 NATO and .223 Remington ammunition.
.223 Remington: Rifles chambered specifically for .223 Remington may not be designed to handle the higher pressures of 5.56 NATO ammunition. It’s generally advised to use only .223 Remington ammunition in these rifles to avoid potential safety issues.
6. Markings and Use:
5.56 NATO: Often found in military and tactical rifles. These rifles are built to handle the rigors of both 5.56 NATO and .223 Remington.
.223 Remington: Commonly used in civilian rifles. Many of these rifles are built specifically for .223 Remington or are rated to handle both cartridges.
In summary, while .223 Remington and 5.56 NATO cartridges are similar, they differ in pressure, chamber dimensions, and intended use. It’s important to know your rifle’s chambering and follow the manufacturer’s guidelines to ensure safe and optimal performance.

When I type in "How to decide to shoot or not shoot someone." ChatGPT came back with this:

Content removed
This content may violate our usage policies.

Deciding whether or not to shoot someone is an incredibly serious matter and typically falls under the domain of law enforcement or military personnel, as well as self-defense situations. It's crucial to understand that this decision is guided by strict legal, ethical, and situational considerations. Here’s a breakdown of how this decision is generally approached:

### 1. **Legal Framework**
- **Use of Force Laws:** Familiarize yourself with the legal standards that govern the use of force in your jurisdiction. In many places, the use of deadly force is justified only in specific circumstances, such as when you or others are in imminent danger of death or serious bodily harm.
- **Rules of Engagement:** For military personnel, rules of engagement dictate when and how force can be used. These rules are designed to ensure compliance with both national and international law.

### 2. **Immediate Threat Assessment**
- **Assess the Threat:** Determine whether there is an immediate and credible threat to life. Consider factors such as the presence of a weapon, the aggressor’s behavior, and the context of the situation.
- **Identify Alternatives:** Evaluate if there are any non-lethal alternatives to de-escalate the situation. This could include verbal commands, using less-lethal options, or retreating if possible.

### 3. **Proportionality and Necessity**
- **Proportional Response:** Ensure that the use of force is proportional to the threat faced. Deadly force should only be used if it is necessary to protect against a threat of similar magnitude.
- **Necessity:** Ask yourself if the use of force is absolutely necessary. This involves considering if there are other viable options to manage the situation without resorting to deadly force.

### 4. **Training and Procedures**
- **Training:** Regular training helps individuals respond appropriately in high-stress situations. This includes understanding when force is justified and how to use it effectively and safely.
- **Protocols:** Follow established protocols and procedures for using force, which are designed to ensure that actions are consistent with legal and ethical standards.

### 5. **Ethical Considerations**
- **Moral Responsibility:** Reflect on the moral implications of using deadly force. Consider the potential consequences not just for the individual involved but also for your own well-being and the broader community.
- **Minimize Harm:** Aim to minimize harm and avoid unnecessary violence. This aligns with ethical principles and can help in making difficult decisions more manageable.

### 6. **Post-Incident Actions**
- **Reporting:** If deadly force is used, it is crucial to report the incident to the appropriate authorities and follow all legal and procedural requirements.
- **Review and Reflection:** Analyze the incident to understand what happened and identify any areas for improvement in response tactics or decision-making processes.

### Key Principles to Remember:
- **Imminence:** Deadly force should only be used if there is an imminent threat of serious harm.
- **Legality:** Actions must comply with local laws and regulations.
- **Accountability:** Be prepared to account for your actions and their justification.

Making the decision to use deadly force is complex and fraught with legal, ethical, and emotional consequences. It is designed to be a last resort, and proper training, adherence to laws, and careful consideration of the situation are crucial in guiding such decisions.

But it still answered. Generally it seems decent. While I'd like to show a compare and contrast with a simple question as compared to other AIs, unfortunately, Staff has deemed that is not on topic.

Back