• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

Chat room

12-34hom

Has there ever been any consideration to adding a chat room here at TFL?

If not, why?

thanks for any replies.

Just what exactly is TFL style?

Or do you decide what style is around here George?

Its good to be the king... Mel Brooks.

I already asked this question about a year ago. If you've ever been around when some of the hot topics start up, People rapid fire post as fast as a Chatroom discussion. Plus, with Posts you can always do searches on info or go back and re-read a previous thread. If we had 1000 members in a chatroom at once you would never be able to read everything everyone was saying.

If you want a chatroom for TFL members, just go register one on the Undernet and use IRC chat via an IRC client such as mIRC or Pirch (both of which are downloadable free).
There is already a #guns chatroom on the Undernet and I am sure they would welcome any TFLers who want to chat about guns.

What George said.
What SodaPop said.
What Rik said.

Check the announcements....the new software version....private messaging there. That's about as close as we'll come. We have nothing against Chat Rooms. We simply choose to devote our resources to other pursuits.
Rich

p.s. The TFL style, you ask?: To promote responsible firearms ownership. IOHO, chats are great for chatting. Not real good for promoting responsibility. Have you tried one on your own site? ;)

When I first heard of chat rooms, I though it was a great idea. Then I got on a few. Got ICQ up and going. Got AOL "Chat Buddies" or whatever it's called up and going. Visited chat rooms everywhere I went. I found them to be almost useless. Very difficult to moderate. Moderating is an absolute requirement and it needs to be done real-time. I've never seen a chat room that would let you edit a post. Talk about "Think Twice, Post Once"!! We don't all type at the same speed, so chatroom conversations are tough to keep sequenced. You have to sit in front of the keyboard for the entire conversation. It requires a lot more discipline of the posters. The only chat rooms I've ever seen that worked were heavily moderated around the clock. Bulletin boards are much, MUCH better.

But the most important advantage BBs have is the archive and search features.

Back