Charter Arms

Mitzelj

Inactive
I just got a killer deal on a Charter Arms Undercover 38 Spl., a buddy traded up to a Smith and he sold it to me cheap. Anyway, does anyone know if the Charters are rated for +P ammo. I probably won't be carrying it, but I was curious. I bought it mostly to use for training. Thanx in advance, Jeff

According to an old Gun's & Ammo special edition magazine entitled Pocket Pistols there is an article called Charter Arms .38 Revolvers where author Jan Libourel says that Charter Arms condones the use of +P's in the larger frame six shot revolvers such as the Undercover.

OK, there's been three different "Charters".

The first Undercovers had exposed ejector rods, and quality was usually good, often downright excellent. Towards the end of that company's lifespan, quality started to go downhill.

For guns of this era, you should know how to check out a used revolver. If it's nice and tight, cool, do most of your practice in .38 standard pressure but carry +P and shoot light amounts of same, it's a good gun.

The later Charcos ranged from "acceptable" to "horrendous". The design was good, but execution often stank.

The new Charter 2000s are also the same basic (excellent) design, and we haven't heard reports of them coming unglued the way Charcos used to with alarming regularity.

The design is weird because it doesn't have sideplates - look carefully, and you'll realize the grip frame, trigger guard, trigger and hammer assembly "forks" into the rear of the grip frame. It's really cool, but tricky to work on, many gunsmiths won't bother with 'em. So, if it's good as is, cool, but don't buy one as a restoration project.

Mine is the early open-ejector-rod type, and of excellent quality. Lockup is rock-solid, barrel gap is .002" and timing is perfect. I can hit torso-sized targets out to 50 yards :D. I always assumed it had been tuned by a gunsmith, but we've had other reports of factory Charters of late-70's vintage being found in that state brand new...believe me, no S&W or Ruger or Taurus comes that tight from the factory!

A good Undercover can be the best .38snubbie you'll ever own.

Hello Again,

FWIW, I don't think that I would use a
steady diet of +P's, in any Charter
Arms .38 Special. Constant use I believe
would shake the weapon loose.

Regards,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

As mentioned, I wouldn't feed it a steady diet of +p ammo. Keeping a few in it for defense shouldn't hurt though.

Back