charter arms undercover question

sox

For the experts, where does the undercover come in with respect to size in comparison to the J frames? I have been reading some pretty stuff on the older UC's and my interest is peaked to say the least. I am snubbie less right now. I recentlly sold my 342PD. I think there is a limit to lightweight- especially if you like to practice with what you carry. I am particularly curious about capacity, weight, etc. Thanks.

Was lookin at one couple weeks ago. Slightly smaller than a j frame 36. Bout between I and J frames in size. Seemed to be plenty of gun for the cartridges. 16oz for 2". Come in .38spec 5 shot and .32 S&W Long 6 shot. There is also the 6 shot 32 H&R Magnum Police Undercover.......a nasty alternative.

Several guns in the undercover family....2,3 and 4 inch barrels. Spur hammers or pocket hammers. Police undercover .38 rated for +P loads.

I have carried 36s since they came out, my favorite now is a 3" round butt. Deadly accurate and still hides well.

Hope this of some help.

Sam

my wife has owned one for several years and it is very similar in size to my j framed md.60. the charter has been a good one.

Rule #1: avoid Charcos. Period.

Several of us, myself included, have had wonderful results with very early Undercovers. The best reports have been of guns with exposed ejector rods and case-hardened hammers. Mine has extremely tight lockup, perfect sight alignment with 158+P, zero cylinder play and other such niceties.

I thought it had been gunsmithed to a "T", but others report guns in the same state that are supposedly factory bone stock. The only thing that makes me think mine isn't is that the front sight appears to have been lightly "persuaded" a hair to the right :). You've got to look hard, but it really appears to have been slightly "bent over". I assumed this was a gunsmith's work but if everything else is stock, maybe the factory was actually hand-regulating each one.

No way of knowing.

I'll never part with mine, that's for sure. Despite the funky colors - the steel frame is "browned" like a hazelnut or something, while the aluminum bits are black anodized. Along with the case-hardened hammer, it's quite "festive".

HOWEVER: before looking for another, you'd best understand how to *thoroughly* check out a wheelgun, there's an old thread I did on that subject that's a starting point. Just before the first incarnation of Charter Arms died, quality reputedly suffered, you'll want to screen out any of those via personal inspection. Don't have one sent to your FFL by some guy on Gunbroker or whatever.

The other issue is that they're strange to work on, due to the lack of sideplates - don't buy a fixer-upper and expect to find a local gunsmith eager to give it a workover.

Still and all, mine was the best $186 I ever spend :D.

Back