Charter Arms rimless revolvers?

JoeSixpack

Does anyone have any experience with Charter Arms rimless revolvers?
They come in 9mm, .40S&W, 45acp

I have zero experience with CA but the idea of a revolver shooting cheap(er) semi auto ammo without moon clips is quite enticing.

I've heard CA has QC issues.. anyone have any experience with these?
I think the first one was the .40 released as the rimless revolver.
the 9 and 45 though are marketed under pitbul line.

Thoughts?

If that's true could a person have a cheap alternative to the medusa and shoot .380 etc out of the 9mm version??

Ive only heard good things about charter arms from actual owners. Lots of other opinions from people who "knew a guy" :rolleyes:

Charter Arms uses chamber length to headspace on, just like the auto-loaders. You might be able to fire a 380 in a 9mm revolver (I fired some 380 from a 9mm that the extractor held the case in position) but why? The 380 rounds are more expensive than the 9mm so other than lighter recoil and reduced performance I don't see the logic.

The Charter rimless guns had a couple teething issues at first, but now they are solid products by all accounts with all the bugs worked out. They make a fantastic product for the money and their customer service is ideal. Buy with confidence.

Charter Arms makes cheap guns.
You almost always get what you pay for.

When people defend them, saying "Their customer service is ideal", keep in mind that shows they needed customer service.

I have no first hand knowledge how good the customer service is for my guns because I haven't needed it, but I do know the Charter Arms products I've had experience with all had problems.

^ Tell us Mr. Snyper, when did you buy these Charter Arms revolvers? Were they new or used? What were the issues with them?

I see this all the time, people bashing something made 20 years ago by a company and they still hold onto the belief that over 20 years gone by, nothing will improve.

I've read plenty of negative things about the Charco revolvers of the 90's to understand that they were not quality guns and are best avoided. I'm not disagreeing with Wesley Snyper here, but he needs to provide more details on his experiences for the OP and other readers to get a better understanding of why believes Charter's a cheap guns not worth the trouble.

Besides that, he's likely never owned or shot any of the Pitbull line or revolvers.

At this point and time My newer charter guns are better quality than my newer Ruger guns. I've had to send 5 Rugers in for repair in the last 3 years when they were band new. I've only had to send 1 Charter back and it was bought used. Charter repaired and polished the used gun to like new and it operates flawlessly. Ruger destroyed 2 of the 5 sent in and said choose a different model these arent on the production line now so we cant replace them with what you actually wanted and purchased. I wont even start in on taurus or s&w. So it's not always a case buy a $1000 gun and it will be trouble free!

All manufacturers have returns.

How many of you GUN SNOBS walk because you've had to take a new car in for warranty?

I bought a Charter South Paw Pink Lady for my little Lady as a Christmas gift a few years back and have zero complaints about it.
It is more affordable than some options, and less so than other options which is fairly reflected in the fit and finish.
It functions just fine and goes bang when she pulls the trigger, which is what counts.
Besides, it is the only current production left handed revolver on the market that I'm aware of.

After handling hers, I picked up a used Shelton Connecticut Bull Dog Pug for myself.
Sitting at my desk once I got it home checking things out, I pointed at the closet door knob across the room and dry fired it.
The next sound was the tip of the firing pin dancing across the hardwood into oblivion.
They fixed and returned it in about a week, no issues since and it is a very good shooter.

My curiosity about their spring retention thingy on their Pitbull series had me purchasing one of those in .40 SW some time later at the right price used.
The system works and works pretty well, but it does have a propensity to problems when not handled just right.
Cartridges or empty cases can easily get under the ejector star if you get in a hurry or a pinch, and that tends to take some effort to clear.

I like it as it is a neat idea and it does work, but I choose not to carry it for that one reason.
We all know that when the adrenaline flows, the motor skills go out the window... no reason to make things more difficult.

I bought a 2013 (4th Gen) .44 Spl Bulldog last year. Bought it face-to-face from the original owner, who had put less than a box of ammo through it. It has been a hoot! I have thoroughly enjoyed working up loads for it. And I've been impressed with the workman-like quality of the gun. It's not refined, but it works as advertised.

My experience was so positive with the Bulldog that a couple of weeks ago I bought a .40 S&W Pitbull. This one came from an auction site, so I didn't have opportunity to examine it closely before buying it. On delivery, close inspection showed that the inside of the barrel was really rough: cutting tool chatter in the grooves, and one really rough patch that I can't explain--short, sharp projections that would snag cleaning patches. I imagine it shot poorly, which is why I got a good deal on it.

I didn't even try to shoot it. I contacted Charter Arms and they said "send it in." I had it back in less than 10 days with a new barrel installed, free of charge. Now it does look great. I just got it back last Friday, so still haven't had it to the range yet ... but I'm looking forward to it. I'll try to remember to post a follow up after my first range trip with it.

Thus far, though, I give Charter Arms a thumbs up based on the fun I have had with the Bulldog and their quick service of the Pitbull.

I've read plenty of negative things about the Charco revolvers of the 90's to understand that they were not quality guns and are best avoided.
My experiences were in the 80's and early 90's.

^ Tell us Mr. Snyper, when did you buy these Charter Arms revolvers? Were they new or used? What were the issues with them?
They were prone to jamming and spitting lead due to misalignment.
Accuracy was mediocre at best.

Some were new, some were used, all had problems, both in revolvers and autos.

Besides that, he's likely never owned or shot any of the Pitbull line or revolvers.
The first one I had experience with was a "Bulldog Pug".

Recoil was so bad it would back the bullets out of the case so often it was rare to be able to fire an entire cylinder before it would jam.

The only difference in the Bulldogs and the Pitbulls is how the cylinders are bored.

I've not seen any big improvements in quality, and I stopped buying them decades ago.

If others want to buy cheap guns because they have "great customer service" that's their prerogative.

WoW! Amazing I can run a full cylinder of 327 federal magnum through my pathfinder and never have a problem with bullets backing out of the case. I can run a full cylinder of 44 special through my bulldog and again never have a problem with bullets backing out.

Are you sure you know how to hold a gun while you shoot it?

I think the company went bankrupt in the mid 90's and was resurrected in teh last 90's..

If I have that right Im not sure if experiences with them from the 80's and early 90's would still apply.. I seen a interview with the current owner and they make it sounds like it was a new company.

I think the company went bankrupt in the mid 90's and was resurrected in teh last 90's..
They've done the bankruptcy/change of ownership cycle several times since they started in the 60's.

WoW! Amazing I can run a full cylinder of 327 federal magnum through my pathfinder and never have a problem with bullets backing out of the case. I can run a full cylinder of 44 special through my bulldog and again never have a problem with bullets backing out.

Are you sure you know how to hold a gun while you shoot it?
What you have done has nothing at all to do with what I witnessed first hand.

Since it never happened with any other brands I don't think "operator error" came into play.

What you have done has nothing at all to do with what I witnessed first hand.

Since it never happened with any other brands I don't think "operator error" came into play.

Actually it does. If the frame was so weak that it was flexing then everything would have gone haywire. bullets backing out of the case either means A. Improperly crimped loads or B. Failure to properly hold the weapon while firing. or C. Both of the above.

None of which is related to poor quality of the gun. I'm not saying Charter is top notch I'm just saying they arent as bad as some people want to make them out to be because they dont think it qualifies as a gun if it doesnt say S&W or Colt on the side.

superspirit has it right. Experiences from the 80s and 90s regarding charter have no application to the current version of the company. Zero. The current company makes good firearms And better customer service than even Ruger. And I'm speaking from personal experience as I own a few of their guns which I shoot alot and have dealt with their customer service.

Amusing.

My take on Charter Quality and service. I have posted this before.

I wanted a small 5 shot 44 special revolver. Bought a New Charter 2 years ago Two days before thanksgiving. Wednesday morning before work I stopped at an indoor range and shot it with some of my dads reloads. Around shot #75, it blew all apart, top strap and half the cylinder.

I called Charter, a girl answered the phone, I think it was the daughter of the owner. I told her exactly what happened. She asked "What model?" I told here bulldog. She said they usually don't do that, send it in. She sent me a shipping label. I wrote a letter asking them to salvage what was left and build me a new one for what ever cost. They sent me a new revolver no charge. Shipping and all.

Later I figured out the shot that blew it up were loaded with 9 grains of something or other powder made for my Dads Smith & Wesson 624 Lew Horton special.

My new Bulldog shoots great and fits in some of my Chiefs special holsters. Still shooting it with no problems. I keep loads down to a max of 6.9 grains Unique and a 240 grain lead bullet.
I would like a 45 ACP version.

Sure they have had some Reorganization. So has Savage and I have had some good and bad rifles from them too. Now Charter wants to be known as a top notch company doing what ever to make their name good.

David

Back