Charter Arms Police Undercover Review

I happen to really like 6 shot revolvers. I've shot the rifling out of my old 642 and it's a good and trusty revolver, but having that extra shot just brings me a little more piece of mind.

Not many manufacturers make a good six shooter designed for concealed carry. You've got the Colt Cobra, Kimber K6S, Taurus 856 and maybe even a K frame Smith would fit the bill. I personally own a K6S and a Model 10 with a 2" barrel and a round butt, so that's what I'll compare.

Let's take a look at some numbers that I either measured or weighed.

Pardon my scratch writing but you get the picture here. The Charter revolver is 3.2 oz lighter than the Kimber and 9.7 oz lighter than the Smith.

Cylinder diameter is about equal to the Smith, but noticeably larger than the Kimber.

The barrel on the Charter Arms is just a little bit longer which I happen to favor. It can still fit in a pocket and will squeak out just a little more power.

I changed the grips to their boot model. It was very affordable. I also purchased a DAO hammer that is both bobbed and removes the single action hook. I shoot better DAO so it was a no brainer for me.

The trigger is actually lightest on the Charter, but the Kimber is smoother, both are fantastic. The Smith isn't bad, but outclassed by both.

Accuracy is good. These groups were shot standing at 7 yards. All three are very accurate guns. I'd have to shoot them back to back to pick a winner and it might just come down to luck.

I only shot 50 rounds cuz primers.

Everything functioned the way it should.

I'll post a video that goes into more detail if you're interested about hearing more. I would highly recommend checking this fine American revolver out if you are interested in a light, but not too light six shot .38 spl revolver.

https://youtu.be/fsz_f2wDT7A
More here.

Nice review, but you left out one important point.
The Kimber K6 also shoots .357 magnum for the 3 oz. difference.

Very true. In the woods I like to have a .357 Mag as a finisher while hunting. Although I've never needed to use it that way.

My home cast .38 spl loads work great. This test was done with the Kimber.

A modified Lee mould with Power Pistol in a +P load.

It's more crude for sure, but it's meant to be stuck in your pants not to win a beauty contest. Being 1/3 to 1/4 the cost of other revolvers I'm OK with that.

They do offer some high-polish models if you're into that kind of thing.

Sometimes if you buy a gun that's too nice you'll never want to holster it. I was that way with my FN Hi-Power. Now I need to buy a surplus beater so I can actually carry it.

I've never had any compunctions about shooting or holstering any of my high dollar handguns, including a number of sought after Smiths.

I must be out of the loop by a long ways, I didn't know Charter Arms was still around. I thought I had heard at one time they went under...

Tony

Charter Arms has been in, and out of, business maybe 3-4 times? Or at least renamed and reorganized...

I think the original company went under in the mid 1990s

The Charter 2000 iteration brought out some awful guns... I think they were the ones who were using glued on barrel shrouds that had a nasty habit of flying down range after a couple of boxes of ammo.

Nick Ecker is in charge now. He bought back the company and is standing behind his product. If you want to talk to the CEO just call him.

You can't really talk to the S&W CEO because he's probably spends all his time on a yacht laughing at the people who bought a $1200 gun full of MIM parts. :D

Congrats Steve, I have no problem with my5 shot, but dang, that Charter looks nice. much as I would love to have a K6, the charter seems much more practical. Thanks for sharing.

Maybe I'll give good old Nick Ecker a call about my wife's POS Pink Lady. He can tell me about the lifetime guarantee they don't honor.

I contacted Charter and learned they have mim internal parts. That's no condemnation of it as virtually everyone does that nowadays.

Mike - I wasn't aware of the glued on barrel shroud. Is that still the practice today?

I should buy two: a right hand and a left hand and then make a new frame to unitize them to have my own Maxwell Smart "stereo" revolver. Top breaks would probably be better though for such a project. Imagine trying to get a finger in to hit the release & pop open a cylinder on a stereo revolver? :D

"Mike - I wasn't aware of the glued on barrel shroud. Is that still the practice today?"

I don't believe so. I think that was given up years ago. I was shooting at the NRA Range when a guy a couple of lanes over had the shroud pop half way off.

That's when I discovered that they were simply glued in place.

What a joke.

I am quite pleased with my CA that I use for carry. Perfect size and caliber for me. Larger than a J, but smaller than a K. And a six shot to boot.
It's a model and caliber that is no longer offered, even though it was a recent model by the latest CA company improvement and quality is very nice.
I'm glad I got one when they were available.

Back