Charter Arms Mag pug owners need feedback

1911luver

Inactive
I'm thinking of getting one of these. I've owned a couple of bulldogs and never had a problem with them. I've read some of the new Guns have a problem breaking their transfer bars. Is this a common problem?

My bulldogs and an undercover never had an problems and they were shot often. This is a new gun current production. Thanks for any help.

I have a Mag Pug I picked up a few months back. No issues. I am a fan of Charter Arms based on my experience that I had posted:

https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=587583

It’s a very shootable gun. I have probably put close to a 1000 rounds through it with probably 700 of these being 38 special. I have run full house 125 grain .357 through it with no issues. My wife who doesn’t like shooting 9mm no matter what gun we have tried due to the recoil has no issues shooting 38 special it.

They make fine products but if I have one ding is that their fit and finish is not perfect. They are not S&W. This being said they are not making show pieces. I plan on getting a Bulldog and a Pink Lady for my wife.

Here is mine. I plan on changing the grips on it at some point. It’s not my EDC but I have carried it both pocket carry and OWB.

Speaking from experience do not hesitate to call Charter Arms with any questions. I wouldn’t be surprised if the owner ends up talking with you.

Last edited:
Functionally, and for accuracy, Charter Arms is the best it has ever been in a very long time. Maybe the best it has ever been period! The accuracy was astounding. I really like the On Duty Magnum Pug, or .38 Spcl. with the hammer shrouds. Next are the Pitbull series revolvers, that do NOT need moon clips, and shoot the same ammo as my semi-autos. I miss the .327 Fed Mag Patriot model! The Undercoverette is a nice touch too, shooting .32 H&R Magnum. The simplicity of design is also a selling point. My guns wind up showing honest wear, but not deliberate stupid abuse. They get dropped on occasion, and suffer holster wear. I have even emptied a chamber and thrown a gun to someone, or slid one to someone. Since Eckers took Charter over, the horror stories have tricked off to a few complaints about fit and finish. I rather like them over Taurus, Windicator, and even some S&W J Frames.

I have a newly acquired Patriot and it is excellent. Quality is very good in the newer ones as Satchmoeddie stated above. Love that .327, 32 HR & 32 long caliber. My goal is to get it to shoot my large supply of 32 ACP's, since I lost use of my non-shooting hand and can't work a semi-auto anymore.

I purchased a Bulldog Pug used a couple of years back after purchasing one of the Southpaws new, for my better looking half.
Later I picked up one of their Pit Bulls used for my own curiosity.
None have ever had any issue with transfer bar breakage, but I can see where the transfer bar could be a weak link.

I will say that the Bulldog Pug's firing pin broke as soon as I got it home and dry fired it once... seriously.
I have no idea how the gun was treated prior to purchasing it and it could have been abused.
Charter stepped up and took care of everything no questions asked and I've had no problems through maybe 600 rounds since.
Hands down some of the best CS out there these days, just great folks to deal with.
I will say that I did pay the initial shipping to send it back to them, but being a used firearm when I purchased it that is as it should be.

Thanks for the help guys. I had a bulldog a few years ago and it was a good shooting gun. I'll more than likely order a stainless mag pug tomorrow.

It seems the new production charters are good no frills working guns. I've had a few smith's and even ruger that had issues and needed to go back to the factory. I know anyone can make a lemon. Right now my budget is tight so the mag pug fits the bill. I plan to pocket carry it while at work. I usually carry a colt commander but it's not a pocket gun that's for sure.

I'm a revolver man in my heart but I love my 1911's just as much. I realize the charter may not take thousands of rounds but that's not its notch either. I have other revolvers for that. I'll be sure to post pictures and a range report when I get her. Thanks again.

Back