Charter Arms Classic, .44 Special

Trooper Joe

My new Charter Arms Classic, .44 Special.

First time at the range. Shot this group at 15 yards with PMC 180 grn, JHP (it will be my ammo of choice.

Interesting enough, I first shot some 240 grn, lead FN, Magtech cowboy action ammo. It recoiled harder, shot about 4" high at 15 yards, and could only get about a 3" group.

I really want a S&W .44 Special in an "L" frame configuration. Someday I hope to find a model 24 although I think they were "N" frames. I do have a real nice 581 that I could get converted to a .44 Special but I hate to ruin the 581.

Just thought I would share this with you. If anyone has a line on a S&W .44 Special, lease PM me.

Trooper Joe

That's a clean looking CA. Those stocks are certainly an improvement on the ones that came on the early version I bought back when they first came out. Congrats!

Dave

The .44 will pick a man up off his feet and knock him down! Very similar power to the big .45 Colt's automatic. Start out as big as a 9mm expanded. A 9 might expand but a .44 will never shrink! There's no replacement for displacement! All else being the same, bigger bullets tend to work better.

Congrats!!

For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. If a bullet would knock a man down, the recoil of the gun being fired would also have to knock the shooter down. Physics don’t lie.

Love your new Charter Arms however, I keep thinking that would make a great trail gun when we ride our mules.

@TrooperJoe - look at the S&W Model 69 - it's L frame and shoots 44 Special. I loved mine.

Not as outrageously priced as the 696...

I've got one of the original ones. I just got it a week or so ago, so I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. The grips on the OP's look like they might be better, but the best grips I've seen on a Charger Arms revolver are the neoprene ones they put on most of their new guns. I probably won't bother to get any for my old Bulldog, but I'm not figuring to shoot it a lot.

I'd second the Model 69 for someone who wants an "L-frame" sized 44 Special, plus you can fire 44 Magnums also if you ever want to/need to.

That's the 4.2" barrel, but they make a shorter one now...2 1/2? 2 3/4"? Something like that.

NO handgun will knock a man down.

Maybe not, but I did see a Freedom Arms .454 knock a woman on her bum once.... of course the weight of the revolver alone was about to pull her over forward just prior to her pulling the trigger! :p

PSI might affect the knock down factor.

The force received by the shooter is taken by a much larger area than the "equal amount of force" received by the shootee.

I'm curious, do those "classic" ones have a steel frame, or aluminum?

I have a shrouded hammer model that's a few years old and has an aluminum frame. I like it for a carry piece in my coat pocket in the winter. Big fat bullets like that give me the warm fuzzies when I'm carrying them for SD.

That Charter looks nice. I owned both a stainless old model, and a Target Bulldog (4” barrel, adjustable sights) at one time. They were both great revolvers, and accurate.
If I were buying a 44spl today, it would be a Ruger GP100. I love my 3” 357 GP.

I have a Charter Arms 44spl .. If I was looking for another 44Spl it would be a 4 inch barreled S&W M69 ... which is a GREAT 5 shot 44Mag ... S&W stepped up built a 44mag on a L frame .. a stout 44mag .. and a sweet 44spl..

"...44 will pick a man up off his feet and knock him down..." Rubbish. Physics doesn't allow that.
The Boss at the shop used an original 2" ,19 ounce, CA Bulldog with 240 grain bullets. Cast, as I recall. No idea what load. He did work up a 260 load that cracked the factory grips though.
"...line on a S&W .44 Special..." Lots of 'em on the assorted auction sites. A 24 runs about $1695 on Gunbroker. There's a 3", M696 on Guns International right now at $1,050.00. And, of course, you can shoot Specials out of any .44 Mag. Agreed that it ain't the same thing.

The old school charter bulldogs originally came with, iirc, wood grips a little smaller than the target grips in the pic above.
The pachmayr presentations are nice if you use it for a range gun, but so are those wood target grips! ..:)

Got a Target 44 B Dog when they first came out and still have it.

Not a daily shooter, a lot like the Star PD 45 commander type, but good for what they are for.

Back