Charter arms bulldog in 45 colt.

Gulfcowboy

Being a fan of the old 45 colt I noticed charter arms put out a bulldog in 45 colt. I was wondering if they will make a 45colt/45 acp bulldog. I believe it would sell well. I also wanted to know if anyone owns a bulldog in 45colt if so how do you like it?
Thanks for any input given

Being a fan of the old 45 colt I noticed charter arms put out a bulldog in 45 colt. I was wondering if they will make a 45colt/45 acp bulldog. I believe it would sell well. I also wanted to know if anyone owns a bulldog in 45colt if so how do you like it?
Thanks for any input given

There's some discussion in the Book of Faces "I'm With Roscoe" group (snub revolver group) within the last couple weeks. A guy had bought a .45 Pitbull, and had it fitted by Charter with a .45 Colt cylinder to make a convertible gun.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ImWithRoscoe/permalink/1054262415025219

The only new xtra large frame Charter Arms I've handled was the .45acp. To me it seemed so much larger than the .44 special that I had to wonder why someone would want to edc the larger frame and cylinder size. Now if the larger frame holds up to hot loads better than the bulldog frame, that could mean something. I enjoy my 3" .44 spc and it becomes a handful if you start to push it past standard loads. I can only imagine what a 45 Colt or a .41 mag would feel like with hot loads.

Gulfcowboy...

I am very pleased with my .45 Colt Bulldog.

At 21 oz empty it is a light large bore.

It seems to me the XL frame is made taller and longer to accommodate the big cylinder... not wider. Grip frame is the same as the other models, so the revolver feels a bit top-heavy to me after shooting the Undercover a lot. The 2 1/2 inch barrel balances things nicely fore and aft in my hand.

Have not shot anything stout through it, and probably won’t.

It is what it is... a lightweight .45 Colt snubbie.

Attachments

• 3C87C66E-265A-4E15-81E0-E51C0F98D4AC.jpeg
    3C87C66E-265A-4E15-81E0-E51C0F98D4AC.jpeg
    536.3 KB · Views: 87
  • 13D53707-86F8-4717-993B-D061EDABF8CE.jpeg
    13D53707-86F8-4717-993B-D061EDABF8CE.jpeg
    506.2 KB · Views: 67
Very nice . I contacted charter arms, and they said they could fit an extra cylinder in 45colt to a 45acp revolver. Very friendly people to deal with. I'd give them my business just for the fact they have been so kind when I've dealt with them now, and in the past.

From what I can discover, the cylinder diameter for the bulldog .45 colt is 1.61 inches. The cylinder diameter for the .44 special is 1.45 inches.

From what I can discover, the cylinder diameter for the bulldog .45 colt is 1.61 inches. The cylinder diameter for the .44 special is 1.45 inches.

Interesting. Just got a Bulldog, and finding a "for sure, this works" holster for it was a bit of a challenge. (Eventually just went with a Simply Rugged pancake, because they explicitly listed the model.) The .45 Pitbull would be even more so.

The .45 would be easier to find ammo for. As in, I've got half a 5 gallon bucket of .45 ACP brass.

I remember listening to an interview with Nick Ecker (Owns and runs Charter Arms) some years ago, back when the Pitbull was still in development. At that time he said that the frame modifications to clear the larger cylinder were really minor, on the order of a few hundredths of an inch extra clearance in the frame window. ("Teh Googles" isn't pulling the interview up right now, alas.)

Last edited:
I have one. I do mounted shooting and every thing I have is 45 co;t. I use it as my chore gun It has survived dust ,dirt ,hay,rain and everything I have thrown at it in still does it job as a snake gun. One thing I have found.45 colt snake shot recoil will break the plastic shot capsul . So first shot is snake shot other 4 social work. during snake season I carry a couple more snake rnds in my shirt pocket. Durabel not a sissy gun

Back