Charter Arms Bulldog 44 Special ?

Daddycat

What do you folks who have owned one think of these revolvers? I have a vague recollection that they don't have a good rep, but I like the price on them at AIM. Feedback appreciated :).
Daddycat

As I mentioned in another thread...

Had a Bulldog Pug in electroless matte nickel. So light that I've spent years with the mistaken belief that it had an alloy frame. Unfortunately, after just under 300 rounds (1 or 2 boxes of Silvertips and the balance in PMC 240gr SWC's), it had so much endshake and play in the cylinder that I sold it because I was too skeered to shoot it any more. Also, on more than one occasion, the retaining screw for the cylinder latch would back out under the recoil and leave me calling for a cease fire on the line while I crawled about on my hands and knees looking for the dang cylinder latch; most uncool. As the ancient Romans said: "Caveat emptor, baby".

It was fun while it lasted, and may have lasted longer had I stayed away from the 240gr loadings. Based on my experience with them, they're not the most durable of guns. That was an awful lot of frame stretching for such a low round count; also, the nickel finish had flaked off the front of the blast shield, the underside of the topstrap, and the entire forcing cone.

Can't say about the .44, but iv'e had a .38 spec at the factory for about 8 weeks for repair,tried to call the other day and the number has been disconnected. Doesn't give my very warm fuzzy feelings. Melvin

Back