Charter Arms .357 Mag Target Bulldog

WmMunny

My elderly neighbor asked me to help her sell her blue 4 inch Charter Arms .357 Mag Target Bulldog. She was disappointed by how little the LGS offered her.

The perfectly-functioning gun is clean as a whistle with no blue wear and has pristine factory wood grips. It appears to have been shot only very little.

I explained to her that revolvers are somewhat out of favor these days plus Charter is not the most in-demand brand-- so it might not bring as much as she hoped for. Nonetheless, there is a gun show near my deep south location later this month and I thought i'd walk it around and see what I can get.

Suggestions for an asking price?

Last edited:
I don't have it right now, she does-- so I can't post pix.

I don't know that she has a specific number in mind-- but the LGS offered her $110 which she called a ridiculous lowball. I told her I agreed.

My elderly neighbor asked me to help her sell her blue 4 inch Charter Arms .357 Mag Target Bulldog. She was disappointed by how little the LGS offered her.

The perfectly-functioning gun is clean as a whistle with no blue wear and has pristine factory wood grips. It appears to have been shot only very little.

I explained to her that revolvers are somewhat out of favor these days plus Charter is not the most in-demand brand-- so it might not bring as much as she hoped for. Nonetheless, there is a gun show near my deep south location later this month and I thought i'd walk it around and see what I can get.

Suggestions for an asking price?

Age? Which iteration of the company is it from? City of manufacture on the barrel? The "Charter 2000" era guns don't have a good reputation, and there's folks that think the guns from the early period are particularly good.

Check gunbroker completed auctions for actual going price. No, she probably won't get that good a price for it.

---edit to add---

Right now I see two completed auctions on Gunborker. Both went for $325. One looks recent, the other looks like an older gun.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/937863535

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/939849355

The owner said her late husband owned it "for a long time"-- and he's been gone a while.

The left side of the barrel is marked "TARGET BULLDOG .357 MAG." The right side says "CHARTER ARMS CORP. STRATFORD, CONN." The wood grips have Charter medallions inset and the s/n is 356XXX.

So I guess it's got some age on it-- not a recently manufactured gun.

Second rate firearms. I could see $300 for high condition CA 357. If bought as shooter, I don’t know about them having any collector demand. I suppose there is some who collect them. Dealer offered $110 is in business to make money not pay top dollar. It may be low but fair offer, how long will it sit at $300 in his case. New RA revolvers are close in class which makes a used CA a hard sell. You get much over $300 and you are approaching PD trade in prices on S&Ws.

Could you double at $200? Probably really fast. But the pawn shop needs to do that too.

At $300? I would totally over look it.

It's going to take a person who wants that particular gun to pay nearly new prices.

Second rate firearms. I could see $300 for high condition CA 357. If bought as shooter, I don’t know about them having any collector demand. I suppose there is some who collect them. Dealer offered $110 is in business to make money not pay top dollar. It may be low but fair offer, how long will it sit at $300 in his case. New RA revolvers are close in class which makes a used CA a hard sell. You get much over $300 and you are approaching PD trade in prices on S&Ws.
They are not second rate firearms. They have some q.c issues. Their God ones are dang good but their bad ones pretty bad. The lifetime warranty does make the "bad ones" sting a lot less.

Back