Charles Daly 1911's

imq707s

I've seen some of these at auctionarms.com going for $375 new in the box. Are these pistols any good? $375 seems like a great price for a decent 1911. What do you think?

I can only give you my experience with the one I own. I have had no problems with mine. I have 800 rounds thru it so far, 700 FMJ and 100 rounds of HydraShoks. Apperently there was a problem with the earlier model Daly's but the newer ones with the serial# pre-fix of "CD" have the bugs ironed out. In my opinion you get a hell of a gun for the price it costs. If you want anymore info feel free to ask.

Heard good things....

I've heard good things about the new ones too. Are they mil-spec? If they are then that's a really good price. I might pick one up myself for that price!

The only thing I can tell you to look for is
make sure your firing pin stop is tight. If not
fit an oversized one into your slide. This seems to be a
common problem with C.D.s

Be sure to check the fit of your extractor and barrel bushing also.

I have put about 1000 to 1200 rounds of all types and
have only had a few FTE...new extractor....and it happens
no more.

A great gun for the money...I use it for IDPA.

Good Luck and Have Fun

I was going to ask about Charles Daly's 1911, but I see that someone beat me to it.

I stopped by the local gun store and handled a Loaded Springfield, all types of Colts, Kimbers, etc. I then picked up a "Chuck" and I was surprised first of the price and then of the extended slide stop and safety which I like. I really like this gun and I've been dying for a 1911.

In fact, I think I might end up with one before the end of the month.

Don't mean to rain on anyone's parade, but I got my CD FS for $335 - including tax and TICS fee. Davidson's had them on sale for $315 through a semi-local dealer - plus you could get a $15 coupon by completing a survey on the dealer's web site.

My CD exhibited the signs seemingly common to the breed, i.e., poor extractor fit (mine won't even grip a case - much less hold it in while you shake the slide) and loose firing pin stop (would probably fall out if it weren't for the tension exerted by the firing pin and spring).

HOWEVER, the gun is quite accurate and functions well since a recent feedramp polish. I will be replacing the extractor (CD extractors are too brittle to tune - so I've read) and the firing pin stop.

I'v had one since the beginning and it has run fine. I did add a shock buff and some grip tape to the front strap but this is just me. I really like it. Also added Kimber grips and hex screws. I live near the importer KBI out of Harrisburg PA. They were a good bunch when I needed parts. Grip screw bushings I damaged getting the old grip screws off. I has ate every thing I have fed it. Would recommend it! Great shooter. Hope this helps---DAROGUE1

So I didn't buy a Charles Daly.

I stopped by the local gun shop because I was just going to look around. My friend was searching for a gun, but he's the type of guy who will think about it inside the gun shop for about 5 or 6 hours debating what he really wants.

So,while waiting, I got to talking to a guy I know well from the gun shop. He went to school with with my father. We were talking about the Charles Daly, but they didn't have any in stock. We talked for a little while about how I wanted a 1911, so I said let's walk down and see. They are stocked with anyone from CZ to Walther and still carry S&W.

Pretty soon, I told him to get out the paperwork because I handled a blued loaded Springfield Armory with the beavertail grip, full length guide rod, and Novak sights for sale at $550. I figured I would spend a couple hundred more dollars over the CD for the Springfield.

My friend ended up with a Beretta Elite II 92G, which is a gun he said he was going to buy. Of course, it takes him a few hours to make a decision. I told him that if it wasn't for him, I wouldn't have spent my money inside the gun shop. :D

I guess you get what you pay for. Logan's comments reminded me that mine had an extractor problem too. I owned one for a year, 4000+ rounds through it, and while it was fun to shoot it was not 100% reliable and therefore not a serious weapon. Bear in mind I bought a Commander length gun, everybody seems to be happy with the full size, but few have shot theirs as much as I did mine. As far as the extractors being to brittle, they are. Mine functioned fine until it decided to break around 2000 rnds. A GI part did function after minor work. IMHO, the metallurgists at KBI are suspect, Besides the extractor, the barrel bushing cracked down the front center and the internal tang broke off that nice ambi safety. Other than that, even after polishing the ramp and chamber, and trying new springs, I could not get total feed reliability. It seems to be common for this gun, no stovepipes, but a failure for the slide to travel the last little bit into battery. I also tried about as many diff. mags as one can, no luck. Looking into this, I found the line-up between the barrel lugs and the slide was none too cool, I guess if I had wanted to waste money and time, I would have replaced the broken parts, bought some different size barrel links, and played w/ lapping in the lugs. Oh well, it sold for $100, Lay-away money on an old pre-series 70, US prop. marked 1911 that works correctly.

I bought one of the first ones when they first came out roughly two years ago. What a lemon. It had many failures to feed and accuracy was poor. I traded it for a Kimber stainless custom classic. The Kimber is my favorite pistol. I owned a H&K Tactical which I really liked but ended up trading for a P7M8. For me the Kimber was much more enjoyable to shoot and just as accurate too. I've shot Springfields too, although, I don't like the blocky grips they are excellent guns for the price. I think I paid around 315.00 for the Charles Daly. I got what I paid for.

Back