Charles Daly 1911??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack 99

I couldn't sleep last night and was checking out a back issue of American Handgunner and there was a full page ad for the Charles Daly 1911. I understand these are made in Brazil, but then so are Springfield frames these days. Haven't heard anything about these anywhere else.

Has anyone seen/fired one of these? Any good? I haven't seen one anywhere to check out, but if they can deliver a decent 1911 for $449 or so, its worth a look.

------------------
"Put a rifle in the hands of a Subject, and he immediately becomes a Citizen." -- Jeff Cooper

I have a Daly 1911A1. Bought it last week, took it to the range this weekend.

Mine has a beavertail, ambi safety, skeletonized trigger and hammer, and a full-length one-piece guide rod that's a MAJOR pain in the arse, especially with a Wolff 20# recoil spring. I called my dealer and asked her to order me an Ed Brown two-piece (part number 889-C, if you're interested).

The gun came with 2 Mec-Gar 8-rounders. The springs are weak, IMNSHO, so I've ordered a set of Wolff +5%ers (part number 71463). With big, heavy .45ACP carts, a flabby mag spring strikes me as being a Bad Thing.

Fit and finish are great, but it doesn't like Cor-Bon (lots of hangups on the feed ramp). UMC 230-gr FMJs feed perfectly, as do 165-gr Hydra-Shok. CCI Blazer is temperamental.

Something odd about this gun that I've never seen on a (box-stock) 1911: the slide doesn't pull back from locked. Once the lock comes up, the slide doesn't move. At all. I have to pull the slide lock down instead of pulling the slide back. Tactically, I suppose this gives you a speed increase (once you're used to it).

Overall, it's a good gun, but it needs some tweaking. The slide lock is the only thing that really irks me. Once Taurus gets off their butts and starts putting out the Titanium in .45 Colt (next month, according to Taurus CS), the Daly will move to the nightstand.

------------------
"Taking a long view of history, we may say that
anyone who lays down his arms deserves whatever he gets."
--Jeff Cooper

[This message has been edited by Coinneach (edited September 14, 1999).]

I think that the Charles Daly 1911 is made in The Philippines, not Brazil.

Skorzeny

------------------
For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the supreme excellence. Sun Tzu

I'll have to agree with Skorzeny. Charles Daly is a "name" that was purchased by KBI, if memory serves me (why isn't the ginkgo biloba kicking-in?) :) I've seen one in a local gun store and it's a decent weapon for $350 or so. Then again, you can spend another $50 or $100 and get a Colt 1991 or 1911.

Later,
Rich

I had a Charles Daly a while back. I really enjoyed it. It was my first .45. I used it mainly to shoot pins at the local range. I'm a left-handed shooter and the ambidexterous features were a major selling point. I had absolutely no problems with it and the gun fed everything I gave it. I paid $369 in Atlanta. I didn't feel comfortable with carrying it cock an locked and ultimately traded it in on a Sig P245. But for the money I don't think you can go wrong. I added Hogue grips and it was extremely comfortable to shoot and quite accurate.

Dave Ebdon

Charles Daly is a sort of "floating" trade name that has been around since at least the 1930s. The quality of "Charles Daly" products is only as good as the manufacturer of whatever the name is on this week. Unfortunately, the manufacturers (and the name) have not always had a good reputation.

Coinneach. There is something possibly wrong there. The slide stop is moved down by the slide itself and there should be enough slide movement play for that to happen.

One of the problem areas of some of those guns is the failure to harden the slide at the slide stop notch, which means after while the slide won't stay back on an empty mag.

Jim

Rich I: I bought some of that gingko biloba stuff, but I kept forgetting to take it. :)

Jim: Thanks for the info; I'll have the smith look at it.

------------------
"Taking a long view of history, we may say that
anyone who lays down his arms deserves whatever he gets."
--Jeff Cooper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back