Charles Daly 1911--quality?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gwinnydapooh

Retired Screen Name
Hey all, If you don't like my stupid questions, better skip this one. Fair warning. ;)

Looking around, I see Charles Daly 1911's. There was one at the local gun show today for $350.00 NIB. Seemed like a nice enough gun w/good features--beavertail grip safety, extended thumb safety, skeleton hammer (sure I don't need this but it looks cool) and 3-dot sights. I didn't dry fire it but the action seemed smooth (just racked the slide.)

I've seen these advertised on Gunsamerica as "Charles Daly/KBI"--so are these customized versions of KBI/FEG 1911s? I can't understand the price if so.

The important part--are they reliable? Anybody here have one? Cool/not cool? It'd have to be pretty cool to turn me off the EAA Witness 45 but you never know. Thanks.

------------------
Don

"Its not criminals that go into schools and shoot children"
--Ann Pearston, British Gun Control apologist and moron

I had a full size Charles Daly 1911, made in the Phillipines, it was a good gun, very reliable, and very accurate. I just bought a Charles Daly 1911 with the 4" barrel. Fit and finish are great. I took it to the range for the first time and it ran flawlessly. At 15 yds I was shooting 2 1/2" groups with Winchester 230gr fmj ammo. I also ran 3 magazines full of Federal hydrashocks in 230gr without a problem. The trigger on this gun is excellent for carry, very clean and crisp. Almost as good as my 2 custom Springfields which have both had trigger jobs. I paid $359.00 for this gun and it comes with 2 MecGar mags, quite a bargain I think. I really like this gun if you can't tell. Rod Black

The Rock bought one in full size and does enjoy it. The Rock was impressed with its accuracy and trigger for a $330 pistol. The Rock does find his Glocks to be more reliable than the CD. But for less than one of the Rock's shirt, it doesn't matter.

On the Bullseye List, a number of shooters -- guys who really know their .45s -- generally speak well of the CD's. But there are problem areas: some of metal in the sear, trigger, etc. tends to be soft, and may wear more rapidly than expected. (No less an expert than Ed Masaki gave them a pretty good rating.)

As a base gun for customization -- replacing some of the key parts -- its apparently quite good. And for the price, you can wait for the wear, and upgrade then.

(The guns are apparently made on State of the art CNC machinery. The same firm makes guns and components for other gun firms.)

My Daly fails to go into battery 7 out of 8 times. When it fails, it just needs a nudge, but it's still a failure. Accurate as hell, but until I figure out what's causing the hangup, it stays in the nightstand.

------------------
"The right of no person to keep and bear arms in defense of his home, person and property,
or in aid of the civil power when thereto legally summoned, shall be called into question.."
Article 11, Section 13, CO state constitution.

Coinneach, I have to ask the obvious but have you replaced the recoil spring yet ?
Seems if a gentle nudge gets it going, an extra 2lb's in the spring area would cure it ?

------------------
"The Gun from Down Under !"
http://www.para1911fanclub.w3.to/
E-mail hotshot_2000@hotmail.com
Alternate E-mail
HS2000@ausi.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back