Charles Daly 1911 Opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rblack

I just purchased a 4" barrel version of the Charles Daly 1911. I used to have a 5" barrel Charles Daly, but sold it. That gun functioned very well. I was just wondering about others experiences with the 4 or 5" barrel. I also have two loaded springfields so I am not new to 1911's, just wanted some opinions. Thanks

------------------

Hi Rblack,
I am looking into getting my first 1911. I really like the looks of the Springfield loaded models. How do you like yours? How does your Charles Daly compare in terms of cost, fit/finish, reliability, etc?

fusternc
I have 1 springfield with parkerized finish that came loaded, had a good trigger job done on it. The gun is super reliable and a tack driver to boot. My other springfiels is stainless and started out as a plain jane, but it has had the works. This gun is also very reliable and accurate.
The Charles Daly that I had was a gov't model that came pretty well loaded for approx. $350.00 The fit and finish on the gun was pretty decent and it also was very reliable.
The gun I just bought is a Charles Daly 1911 with a 4" barrel. Fit and finish are excellent, but I haven't shot it yet.
The loaded Springfield in blue or parkarized finish should be able to be had for approx.
$500 to $550 depending on dealer

Ive had a lot of fun with a Daley. I think out of the box for the money you get a pretty good package. The Ambi saftey, extended slide release, forward serrations I really enjoy'd. I worked mine over, fitted a barrel bushing,tightened the slide and changed out the recoil spring and hammer spring, polished the ramp,sear hammer notch (trigger pull came down to 4.5lb after replacing the hammer spring) and its a pleasure at 50'. I sold that one and am doing another now. The problem is after doing the above the investment was $11. for the bushing and $4.00 for wolff springs so the cost of tuning was a little time and $19.00 plus about 8 hours of polishing to get a consistant 1.5". The only thing left would be a better barrel. Its the one thing that caught my eye. The bore left more than a little to be desired. So about $150. to fit a new barrel and now your up at around say $350 initial plus $19.00 for the springs and bushing (if you have a lathe to fit the bushing yourself)plus $150 for the barrel adds up to $519. The first one shot very good for a little time at the bench and few bucks extra but when you start to tweek the most out of it ... new barrel ...maybe better sights (my old eyes) maybe maybe not. Ill let you know what the next one does. I would hope to get less than 1" at 50' for the additional $150. Is a Daley now worth the same money you'd pay for a Springfield? WEll, if you are getting what you want I,d say yes. Will I get it? wellllllllllll, I sure hope so! With sights add another $50-$75 minimum were talking $560 or there abouts not counting tax. The only reason I can do this is because I dont pay retail so my initial investment saves me a little. (enough to buy the springs and bushing :) I sold the first one for $425 and am wishing now Id kept it!

[This message has been edited by TGS (edited November 22, 1999).]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back