Charles Daly 10 ga. age?

2hooked

Inactive
A Charles Daly 10 ga. serial number 398 came home with me from a receint collectables show. It's a hammer gun with 30 inch damascus barrels. Where can I find when it was made and where?
Thanks

There was a real Charles Daly who used his name on imported guns. He died in 1899 and the name passed out of the family in 1919. Since then, the Charles Daly name has been used by several companies associated with the firearms business, primarily importing.

Given the dates, it seems likely that the original Charles Daly might have been involved in the company that had manufactured or imported your shotgun. Take the barrels off and look at the bottom and also at the water table (the flat part of the frame under the barrels) for proof marks, especially an oval with the letters E L G, the Belgian proof mark.

Jim

AFAIK, early Chas. Daly shotguns were selected for high quality, sourced first from "Prussia" (Suhl, Germany) makers like Schiller and Lindner, then later Heym and Sauer.
Some early guns were also sourced from J&W Tolley (England). Newmann (Belgium), and even Lefever Arms (New York).

Guns were first marked "Charles Daly" around 1875, so your 10ga hammergun could have been made anywhere after then, up to the time hammerguns fell from grace in favor of hammerless designs.

The hidden bottom metal of the action watertable/flats, and the barrel bottom(s) & flats should have several stampings, IF the gun was sourced in Europe - proofmarks (which can be approximately dated), and perhaps a maker's mark, besides the various chambering & loading specifics required by European proof laws.

Close-up, clear pics are best.

Pictures

Not much here for marks. Hope the pictures help.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    106.1 KB · Views: 69
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    104.3 KB · Views: 64
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    125.5 KB · Views: 56
The absence of any proof marks would indicate an American-made gun, but not much help in dating it aside from PetahW's fairly broad range.

It appears to be a fairly good quality gun, which would be consistent with Charles Daly's policy of buying high quality guns. It has, of course, Damascus barrels, so I would advise against firing it even if you can find 10 gauge shells. I think a date between 1875 and 1900 would be reasonable, but not certain, as many traditionalists wanted old style guns with hammers and Damascus barrels long after both were considered obsolescent.

Jim

Back