Charging handles and buffer tubes

Tool

Do I really need to spend $120 for an AR-15 charging handle? The generic branded ones sell for less than $20.

How about the buffer tubes, springs and buffers? Some generic branded ones cost <$50, with everything included plus a nice polymer stock.

Make sure the tube is 7075 t6 aluminum and it should be fine.

Buffers are all about the same IMHO, I like the KAK kit for its versatility/tuneability.

I have used cheap springs, JP springs, and Springco springs. If I had to choose one I would pick the JP tuned and polished. Less "sproing" noise in the stock, and the sends the bolt home more positively. Just check your spring length regularly for shrinkage. Usually around the 3000 to 5000 mark or about 10in. Friend has the Geissele Super 42 spring system. Over all I was not impressed. Completely proprietary spring and buffers and it did not perform any better than a mil-spec type setup. never tried the flat wire springs.

If your running a suppressor, some of the gas busting charging handles like the radian raptor might be a good choice.

I have never found a need for an ambidextrous charging handle personally, YMMV.

I have found charging handles that are slightly extended or swept forward like the Aero Breach, can be helpful especially depending on your sight setup. When running scopes, or backup sights it can be a touch hard to grab on the charging handles without banging up your finger. And in general they are just a bit easier to use.

Last edited:
Many thanks for the tips. I will check out the JP tuned and polished springs. Believe it or not, those cheap charging handles are mostly ambidextrous.

I suggest you evaluate your position in the AR Market vs what it is you are trying to achieve.
In another recent post it was revealed that an M-4 that would shoot 5 MOA is good enough to issue to a troop and send them to war. Thats 10 inches at 200 yds.
Where are you going and what are you doing?

You can spend a lot of money on the feature rich elite operator tacticool parts.

In some cases, the need to vigorously do one handed racking or one boot racking MIGHT justify (to me) buying some 17-4 PH stainless Delta Force grade charging handle.
But at what point are we spending money for peer approval? ( Dude,you seen that op rod Tool just got? Totally Rad! I'm saving!)

Suppose you bought the Rock River or Aero basic charging handle. Maybe$40? It will get you shooting. It may serve you very well. Or,real experience may compel you to replace it with the $140 part.
As many uppers and lowers as you have you will have a leftover and spare parts box you can clutter with the POS $40 part.

Later you will find a leftover barrel nut in that box and it will inspire another build.

I'm not a Veteran. I have no combat experience. My understanding is the REAL OPERATORS routinely face dangerous, uncertain situations with incomplete information and sketchy resources ...maybe even a $40 charging handle,and they just eat some raw meat and say "Lets Go"
Why not!?" "They will be waiting for us when we get there"
"I wouldn't have it any other way"

We want Angel.

That was one movie. Have you seen the new Woodie Allen movie?

Keep in mind that buffer tubes come in two exterior sizes. Milspec and commercial.
Mil Spec: Diameter: approximately 1.14 inches (28.7 mm)
Commercial: Diameter: approximately 1.17 inches (29.7 mm)

Doesnt seem like much but you get a distinct rattle if your not careful.

I think commercial tube needs commercial lower. No point monkeying with that if you don't have to. Milspec only.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I believe Jerry Miculek still prefers the steel charging handle for his ARs because it has less binding to them as compared to the aluminum ones.

I have one of Miculek's stainless steel charging handles. Occasionally, some people tend to bend and break these things under stress. Nothing renders an AR useless like a broken charging handle.

A stainless steel charging handle is likely overkill, but what the heck - glad I've got one, and wish I bought 4!

I think commercial tube needs commercial lower. No point monkeying with that if you don't have to. Milspec only.

I can report that milspec and commercial dimensions both fit all the same lowers. A commercial extension won't accept a milspec stock. Commercial dimension receiver extensions and stocks seem to be a remnant in the market.

I've never bent a CH. Steel isn't unbendable, but I could see being talked into it if the benefit came at a modest premium over a 7075 CH. However, the steel CHs at Luth or Midway are in the $60-$70 range.

They have same threads? Commercial tube has 0.03" bigger diameter. I guess the same threads can be cut with a slight shoulder. I was told it would require different threads in the lower. Stand corrected. Thanks.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I wish the standard was a charging handle that was ambidextrous, otherwise I’ve never had an issue with the standard. I guess it’s better than the original that was inside the carry handle.

They make uppers that are side charging and dual (side and normal).

They also have a kit that will turn your upper into a side charger. You can still charge it normally for backup.

Do I really need to spend $120 for an AR-15 charging handle?

No.

If you want to spend money on improving ergonomics of your rifle, I would spend it on getting an Ambi Bolt Release over a fancy charging handle.

If your right handed, this makes fixing a double feed which is one the few malfunctions SPORTS won't fix much easier.

My personal preference is the Phase V because it requires no cutting on your receiver, one finger operation for both lock/release, and is all one piece of steel.

https://www.brownells.com/gun-parts...ers-parts/ar-15-ebr-v3-extended-bolt-release/

If you don't mind hacking on your reciever then the PDQ is a great option.

Last edited:
A little late here, but I can't stand the A2 style charging handles personally. 65 bucks on sale for a Raptor LT was well worth it. A hundred times better and not an unholy fortune.

They have same threads? Commercial tube has 0.03" bigger diameter. I guess the same threads can be cut with a slight shoulder. I was told it would require different threads in the lower. Stand corrected. Thanks.
Same thread diameter/profile. The tube diameter behind the threads is different. I believe the commercial ones are extruded, rather than machined from a billet. I've used the "enhanced" and standard buffer tubes from Aero recently and, once assembled, there's no real difference in a standard AR.

You can find some pretty nice aftermarket charging handles in the $50-$60 range or so. If you are going to carry it for any length of time, avoid the long lever style: they dig into your chest and get caught on gear/clothes.

I have switched to a flat wire spring and I am happy with it.

Don't know if it is worth added money, but it did solve a problem I had with a stretched normal spring and it makes less noise when it releases, IMO.

A little late here, but I can't stand the A2 style charging handles personally. 65 bucks on sale for a Raptor LT was well worth it. A hundred times better and not an unholy fortune.
Me neither.

I bought a couple of the cheap ambi charbing handles ($20 each). The fit and finish is perfect. They work flawlessly. Not sure how long it will last though.

Back