Charging cartridges

Phantom Captain

Thought I would share my routine.

Getting ready to go out at the end of the week. The one nod I make to modern supplies are these dixie quick charge tubes. I love them. Everything is premeasured and ready to go by the time I go out. Plus they are washable and reusable. Very very handy and functional in my opinion!!

IMG_0851.jpg

These are .58 caliber (.575) minie balls for my Springfield. I load 60gr. powder for the musket. The tin is for my cartridge box.

IMG_0855.jpg

Yellow tubes are .44. I loaded 30gr. and 25 gr. with .454 caliber balls for my 1860 Army. I use wonder wads between powder and ball. No grease for me!! It's too messy, the wad cleans the bore nicely, and I truly don't believe chain fires come from the front. With a properly sealed ball and wad grease really isn't necessary in my opinion. Shooting black powder is messy enough as it is without grease everywhere. My Dad has been shooting cap and ball for years and has never greased his chambers and never had a chain fire. He doesn't even like to use a wad, just powder and ball. Now that's traditional!

IMG_0864.jpg

Pyrodex R/S is in the brass spout for my rifles and is fitted with a 60gr spout. The pistol powder horn is Pyrodex P fitted with a 50gr. spout for my Dragoon which also takes .457 balls. I use the largest spout and adjust accordingly with a measure. I have 75gr, 60gr, 50gr, 30gr, 20gr and 15gr spouts that interchange.

IMG_0867.jpg

Filling up the cartridge tins, each tin holds 20 rounds so a full cartridge box holds 40! Because I use the rubber tubes though I only load 36. They are a bit tight at first because of the rubber which sticks if I try to put 40 in.

IMG_0870.jpg

Cartridge box is full and ready to go! I lube the bullets at the range with bore butter. I could lube them at home but would rather not have the chance of them making a mess in the box. The tins are pretty functional and I'm sure I could do it and carry them already pre-lubed but it's not a deal breaker for me to lube them at the range.

I just recently replaced the factory nipples on my Pietta 1860 Army with Thunder Ridge brand nipples. They are supposedly harder, the fire hole is better and #11 caps actually fit snugly and perfectly on them, no more pinching!! I'll let you all know how they work out shooting wise after this weeks outting. Cost was $13 for a set of six. I'm thinking all my nipples will be replaced shortly.

Last edited:
Back