Changing TSA policy?

cschmelz

Inactive
I flew with a Fabarms shotgun to South Dakota just last week for some pheasant hunting (did great by the way) When I checked my bag with Delta in Washington State I told them I had a firearm to declare and asked for TSA. They came, hand inspected the case (not the firearm of course) and said "ok" and I then locked the case with two combination padlocks (non-TSA locks of course) and then locked the gun case in my bag with a TSA lock. No problem right?

My friend did the same thing at the same airport the day before and they wanted to combination to the lock which he refused (I briefed him before) they then insisted on inspecting the firearm out of his sight and then relocked the combination locks (also out of his sight) and then THEY put it back in his bag. They wouldn't allow anything else apparently. Unfortunately it appears they handled the firearm and didn't put it back properly and the walnut stock got scratched up.

When we flew back from South Dakota the gate agent for Delta wanted me to hand over the case and just walk away, to which I refused. I insisted TSA come over and inspect the case in front of me. They wouldn't let me relock the case myself, but I did insist on checking it was properly locked and I also insisted on putting it in my checked bag myself and then securing the TSA lock. My friend got a DIFFERENT TSA agent who did inspect the firearm in front of him but refused to let him confirm it was locked or check the case, nor would she allow him to place it in his checked bag himself.

WTF are the actual rules of engagement here? TSA per their own website has previously stated that TSA cannot have the key nor combination to the lock on the firearm case (which makes good sense from a safety/security perspective) but they seem to insist they have that right.

What is the actual procedure currently approved by our friendly right destroyer Kip?

Inconsistency is because of poor training on TSA's part. I met my share of idjits who didn't know the law and it makes me wish they were never federalized.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/customer/claims/index.shtm

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1666.shtm

Airlines may have their own additional requirements on the carriage of firearms and the amount of ammunition that you may have in your checked baggage. Therefore, travelers should also contact the airline regarding its firearm and ammunition carriage policies.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/customer/redress/index.shtm

If you dont let them know there is a problem they cant fix it.....

That's why I use the Camper method - hook up the camper and go.

Lock up the guns in cases, in the camper, no TSA folks :D

TSA = Thousands Standing Around

I traveled with a declared firearm out of Newark airport, expecting to face problems. Fortunately, things went smoothly for me. I almost fell over from the shock!

But I prepared in advance by printing out TSA regulations, as well as those of the airline I was flying. I distinctly remember that the TSA regulations mentioned that you have the right to ask for a supervisor, if the agent gives problems or disagrees with your copy of the printed policy.

And the locks I used were key locks, not specifically TSA approved.

I did not face problems going back home, either. They just made me sign a declaration, and ran my luggage bag through a scanner so they could see the gun inside, then they gave me the thumbs up, indicating everything was in order.

I having transported a firearm of any kind on a commerical flight in quite some time, so please pardon me for any ignorance.

Having said that, what in blazes is a TSA Lock? Additionally, from what I've read, seen and heard, TSA is a world class screw-up. Worse than usual bureaucreatic screwups, The Congress allows these boobs to get away with all manner of crap, such as the silly games they play re the arming, actually the REARMING of FFDO's, Federal Flight Deck Officers, which as I recall used to be described as pilot and copilot, flight engineer too, back when they had same, who by virtue of government requirements, used to be armed.

Speaking personally, I did have one run in with boobus bureaucratis, TSA on a flight back to Pittsburgh from New Bern, North Carolina. I have an old Shick Injector Razor. I've had it for about 50 years, give or take a couple. I had a partial "clip", or injector of blades in my bag, it was there when I flew out of Pittsburgh a couple of weeks previously. One of these government monkeys discovering this, announced to all and sundry the presence of "contraband" in my bag. He confiscated my Shick Injector Blades, I spell his action as STEALING my razor blades, announcing that if a blade were ejected from the container, it could be used as a weapon. I suppose such was possible, however it struck me that it would be pretty damned hard to hold on to, while using it as a "weapon".

Oh well, I boarded the airplane, flew back to Pittsburgh, having been divested of my property, and next day, the sun rose. I suppose that this clown perhaps collected a couple of brownie points from his boss, having demonstrated the raw power of federal authorities. Was the flying or earthbound public rendered any safer through this exercise of power. I don't think so, however for whatever it might be worth, likely not much, one citizens opinion of the federal government went down a couple of notches. Of course, our elected things, on an ongoing basis, still fail to check the foolishness of TSA. Seems sad, but then what do I know?

I had the TSA drone tell me I had to give up my cigar cutter. Seemed like a pretty ineffective weapon (I will slice off the tip of her finger if you don't open the flight deck door!!), but whatever. Check the written policy later online, turns out that cigar cutters are specifically allowed.

Whatever.

I've found one of the major problems is that generally anytime you're dealing with TSA agents you're in a bit of a hurry, on a tight schedule to catch a plane. From an airline that will not refund you if you miss it and won't care if it was security's fault. So you're sitting there with anywhere from hundreds to, well, thousands of dollars on the line if anything goes wrong...so you take off your shoes like a good little kid and do what the nice mall cop on a power trip tells you.

Also makes it much easier for individual TSA agents to make rules up as they go.

Print out the TSA policy and ask for a supervisor if the guy doesnt understand the written word. Also give yourself plenty of time to get to the airport and board.

JuanCarlos:

This sort of crap would cease forthwith IF the individual idiots who haven't the proverbial clue re what the rules actually are, were fired when they cause legitimate passengers to miss flights or connections. Ditto in the case of TSA budget taking a hit for each and every missed flight or connection.

Given the nature and quality of our elected idiots, that's unlikely to happen, and so as the title of a book read, The Band Plays On.

Folks, don't blame TSA for confiscating prohibited items. When it comes to confiscating things, the agents are just doing their job. When in doubt, put things in your checked luggage. If you are only traveling with a carry on, either ship what you need to your destination that you can't bring on the plane with you, or go without it. TSA does provide the website with updated information. Find out ahead of time to avoid any surprises at the security check. But don't blame TSA agents for taking razor blades or anything else. After all, if you're allowed to bring it on, then the opportunity exists for someone to figure out how to hijack a plane with it.

Dewhitewolf:

What annoyed me about the razor blades was not their small monetary value, rather it was the pompus attitude of the TSA clown at New Bern airport.

Additionally, looking at TSA materials, there was no indication at all concernig the "conbtraband" nature of a clip of Shick Injector Razor Blades. Also, assuming that they were contraband flying out of New Bern returning to Pittsburgh, how come they weren't contraband flying out of Pittsburgh to New Bern two weeks previously? One tends to geet the following impression(s) re the operations of TSA.

1. They really haven't a solid clue re what it is that they are doing.
2. They make things up as they go along.

BTW, I had written to TSA about this fiasco, and what I had back from them essentially said the following. Having opted to fly commercially, I had entered into the soverign domain of whomever it is at the gate. Strikes me that there is something, actually quite a lot, that is hellishly wrong with this attitude.

The low IQ welfare-to-work TSA monkeys tend to make rules up as they go.

Maybe a bit unfair, I have found in the smaller midwestern airports TSA agents who understood their jobs and at least had a high school education.

But not totally unfair as you get to the major airports. Their the turnover of staff is such that you never see the same person for very long. The TSA staff is ill trained, and they are not around long enough to remember their training. And the sort of person TSA hires in those places, well I don't believe a number of them are American, never mind having a High School diploma.

And at the majors, the TSA agents are God. They are used to bullying around nice middle class people who cannot resist. You must do what they want or who knows what they will do to you. Probably call the Airport Kiddie Cops who will Taser you, or pepper spray your face just because they can.

And, as any traveler has known, the Airlines have gotten nasty. It used to be they competed on service. Now, you are Cargo that complains. The Airlines have contracted out so many jobs, and cut salaries so low, the people behind the counters only know what they do hundreds of times a day. Anything new or different, they don't know the airlines policy, and they sure as heck don't know guns. So they make stuff up. Don't expect consistancy from counter to counter or from airport to airport.

Back