Changing Seating Depth on Loaded Ammo

taylorce1

I ran across a new tool from Type 1 Designs, it's basically a kinetic style bullet puller that allows you to increase or decrease seathing depth. The designer built this to tune factory ammunition to your rifle. This tool is $170 according to his web page.

Shrink Your Groups

Tune Your Ammo (How to use)

Now while he intended this for non-reloaders, I don't see why this tool won't work on reloads as well. I've got a 100 yard range on my property, I also have a 300 yd range about 10-15 minutes from my house. While I can do seating depth tests at 100 and often do, I like to do them at longer range as well when possible.

I do these tests by loading all my test ammunition to mag length or .020" off the lands when possible. Then I either use a small arbor press and an inline die or a micrometer seating die and a Lee hand press to seat at the 300 yd range. When I'm at my house I go to my bench if needed and it's where I do all my rifles I don't have an inline or micrometer seaters for.

Now I had been looking at a Short Action Customs Infiniti APS die, but it's $450 for the die and a base. Additional seating bases are $50 each and it would run me $600+ to have an inline seating die to cover all the cartridges I can load for. If I were to purchase inline or micrometer seaters, well lets say that isn't in the budget.

I've been asking questions to the inventor. As I'm worried about tapping the bullets closer to the lands and what happens to neck tension. As every cartridge I've pulled the bullet from I have had to neck size again before seating a bullet back in the case. I just felt there wasn't enough tension to hold the bullet properly, by the ease at which they reseated. I've also asked a question of durability with using an arbor press instead of a rubber mallet.

I know seating bullets this tool seems a little cavemanish. But my question then is how many people have loaded accurate ammunition with a Lee Loader and a mallet? I know that I loaded a lot of accurate handloads with an LE Wilson inline seater and a mallet until I bought my Bald Eagle arbor press. So this concept for changing seating depth on factory ammunition doesn't seem that unreasonable to me, nor does using it to run seating depth tests at the range with handloads.

That tool does seem interesting, especially for non-reloaders looking to fine-tune factory ammo. However, like you, I’d be cautious about the potential impact on neck tension. Since you’ve seen issues when pulling bullets and reseating without resizing the neck, it’s a valid concern here too. Tapping them closer to the lands might compromise consistency. Durability-wise, I’d prefer using an arbor press for precision. The concept makes sense, but testing neck tension with this tool before relying on it heavily could help.

Remington Blake said:
The concept makes sense, but testing neck tension with this tool before relying on it heavily could help.

How would you test neck tension after tapping the bullet out further? That's my only real question. I wouldn't have any way of actually determining with my equipment.

$170 (plus shipping?) for a tool I don't have, don't need, and don't want, made by people who say "O-drive", "Freeboard" and "Free Boar" in their video?
I suppose I'm just a grumpy old guy, but, to me, I don't care if your product is a finely crafted precision product, if you don't (or can't) put some of that precision into proofreading and spell checking the text of your video, it shows a degree of sloppiness, which might also exist in your product, so...
Thanks, but no thanks.

A kinetic bullet puller with an adjustable stop, so you only pull the bullets to the point you set it to. Works for the non reloader with factory ammo!! OK...

Now what does the non-reloader do if he "adjusts" factory ammo so it won't fit in his magazine?? OR adjusts it so long the bullet does jam into the lands??

How does the non-reloader fix that?? And what might be the legal status if something bad happens because you "tampered" with factory ammo??

Those are just the first things I thought of, there's probably more....:rolleyes:

How does the non-reloader, shooting only factory ammo even FIND the point where the bullet touches the rifling, anyway???

Sure, the smallest groups is a desirable thing, but if getting there means I have to single load each round, that kind of defeats the purpose of having a repeater.

TO me, this is a solution in search of a problem, and I don't doubt some people will buy it, but it does nothing useful for me.

I have a Lee hand press that I can change the seating depth on the fly on the firing line. I just go to the range with a bunch of rounds that have been seated long at home.

I have seen shooters who have mobile reloading stations in their vehicles.

If I have $170 to spend, I would rather try other things to tune the rifle, say a barrel tuner.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Back