Changing S&W trigger

Mikke

I have a friend who have a S&W 617 (.2 revolver) with a wide target trigger. While the trigger is nice when shooting single action, it isn't as good for DA shooting.

He is now considering changing trigger to a narrow one (standard), but neither he nor I know how much, if any, fitting will be needed if he gets a new one.
Is this something that can be done by an amateur, or is it best left to a pro?

Many S&W triggers will drop in without any fitting at all. However, there are many that need some fitting. There's were the rub is. Improper fitting can mean an unsafe gun, or one that will malfunction. Unless your an expert or are willing to spend the time to become an expert, best leave it to a pro. I would suggest contacting S&W to either do the job, or recommend someone in your area. I'm 'hinky' about letting just anybody do this kind of work. The cost of a new trigger and the labor to do the job shouldn't cost an arm and a leg. Better to get it done right the first time, costs less too.

MAybe another option.My 19 has all the t's on it.THe wide trigger has grooves in it.Simply grind the grooves off and polish it.Makes double action shooting a lot better with the wide trigger.Try it and I think you will like it.

Well, no grooves on his trigger, it's just wide, double the width as the standard trigger, but smooth.
Not impossible to shoot DA with, but not as good as the one on mine. And grinding it thinner isn't a option I think, looks like it's cast, and the back of it isn't solid.

Anyway, he has decided to keep it as it is for the time beeing, but maybe change it in the future.

Thanks for replies!

/Mikke

Back