Changing python 8"bbl to 4" bbl

BobR

I have a mid 70's python with an 8" barrel and am looking for a 4" python for my wife to carry.

I was browsing the brownells catalog and noticed I can get a 4" barrel from them.

My dilemma is whether or not to take the 8" bbl off and replace with the 4". Will the finish be the same or will I have to have it refinished. Are there any other consdierations I need to think about before committing this to a smith.

bob

Aside from possible variation in color and finish......

If it is like Smith barrel switch, it is not a simple screw in job. The barrel will probably have to tried, then turned at the barrel to frame mating shoulder so that when properly torqued, the front sight will be properly aligned. Then the barrel to cylinder gap will probably have to be adjusted and maby the cone touched up.

Kinda like replacin a part in your Rollex. Impossible for most and piece of cake for one who does such things regularly.

Or, like so many come from the factory, a little lean is hammer induced to the front sight to make it shoot true.

Sam

"Custom work always cost more than you get out of it." -- Shiro

Quite so.

I recommend a separate Python if you have to have a 4-incher.

They aren't going to make any more of the old-style ones...get 'em while you can.

It's worse than you think...

The older Pythons take a different barrel thread from new ones...

...and it's a crush thread, so the old barrel will be trash, literally...

...and when I was thinking about doing the same thing, I couldn't find a 4" old style Python barrel anywhere (which doesn't mean that you can't, but Brownell's doesn't have it, and Colt's doesn't either).

The suggestion to sell/trade it was probably the best one, if you can't live with it as is.

I will just have to live with the 8" and my poor wife will have to suffer with a completly different snake...one with a 4" barrel.

the sacrifices one has to make!!:rolleyes:

bob

How much you willing to pay for one?

a 4 incher blued almost like new just a cylinder mark from rotating?

Jest curious.

shiro

Back