Changing powder in measure

BondoBob

This is a newbie question. How important is it to get every last single grain of powder out of my Lee Perfect Powder measure before filling it with another type powder?

I'm switching from Trailboss to 700-X for some different loads. I know you cannot mix powders. But if a few stray grains remain is that a big deal? They seam to stick to the plastic due to static.

Ugh, trailboss.

Get it all out of there. I don't think you really want to experiment with what happens when you ignite a trailboss/700-x powder combo in your gun.

Hey Bob, any relation to PrimerPete? Thought I saw both of you guys driving around town recently. Old Buick and Dodge pickup.
Inquiring minds want to know..

"But if a few stray grains remain is that a big deal? They seam to stick to the plastic due to static."

I've solved that problem by "painting" the plastic powder column with a small brush and powdered graphite. When I finish with any powder, I, too, use compressed air to blow any remaining particles out.

A few stray kernals (grains) won't matter.

They stick due to static. There are many methods you can use to cure that.

The oldtimers trick back in the 60s was to simply wash the measure in soapy water (dish soap), and let it dry without rinsing. This usually did the trick.

I imagine any of the modern spray "static guard" products would work as well, if not better.

I simply give the inside of the powder measure a couple of swipes with a dryer sheet. Works quite well.

Don

I do like USSR says wipe it down with a dryer sheet. Keep on close at hand to do a quick wipe if you see it sticking. No you don't have to get every piece of powder out but it could cause a LARGE problem if you don't get enough out. Get a can of pressurized air like what is used for blowing of computer key boards to do quick blow outs.

Back