Changing Mossberg Shockwave to 590A1 Configuration

Joe_Pike

I guess I'm going to take my Shockwave and either take the SBA3 brace off of it and put the Raptor grip back on or turn it into a 590A1. I have a 590A1 barrel that is available at a LGS for $135. I've found a magazine tube and spring on Midway for roughly $60. I'm guessing that's all that I need other than a stock to make the switch? I'm assuming the follower and magazine tube cap are the same in the Shockwave as the 590A1. Thanks for the help.

Yes, the only difference between the 590 (which the Shockwave is a variant of) and the 590A1 is that the safety and trigger group on the A1 are Aluminum whereas they are Polymer on the standard 590, so all parts interchange beween the 590/590A1.

Selling the Shockwave parts is the plan...if I can get that darn magazine tube off of it. I'm not quite sure what Mossberg is thinking by using so much thread lock but I'm having no luck removing it. I'm having some tell me that I need some special tools and a torch to get it off and it's bumming me out that I need to spend even more money for a one time job.

590A1s are unavailable...everywhere. And, when available ate selling for twice what they normally sell for. So, I will continue on the road of switching mine over.

<<< I'm not quite sure what Mossberg is thinking by using so much thread lock but I'm having no luck removing it.>>>

A hair drier should work surprisingly well.

Unscrew the mag tube with a strap wrench on the end of the mag tube where the thread is. You can get a set at Harbor Freight for $5. Do not use any sort of pliers. If you can't get enough traction, brush on some contact cement and let it dry. This will give you plenty of traction and you can remove it with carb cleaner. (OK for blued steel, not for camo)

Oh, I got the tube off. Strap wrench and hair dryer didn't work. A heat gun and channel locks did. This is what it looks like now.
attachment.php

Attachments

• 20210114_192932.jpg
    20210114_192932.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 984
Joe-Pike. What make this firearm better/different from a plain old Mossberg 500? Not criticizing, just curious. I'm on the "fringes" of the shotgun world. I bought a used 500 last Feb for 185. It had a loooong barrel. I got a 22 inch with porting to replace the looong one. Whish I had an 18. Thanks.

I think the 590s are built a little more robust (thicker barrel) which makes them heavy, but the only reason I have this is because I started out with the Shockwave and converted it after not getting along with the little devil. I have an older 500 on lay-away that is a beautiful pump gun with gorgeous wood and I wouldn't feel a bit cheated if that was the only shotgun I had. It's got a 28" barrel on it now, but if I could find a 18.5" barrel I would think about selling the 590 and let the 500 do double duty.

Back