changing barrels

nmaineron

Inactive
How difficult is it to change barrels on a Remington 722.I have wanted a 722 in 308 for some time now..and I have found a 722 chambered for a 300 savage,would it be a big job to put a 308 barrel on...

A .300 Savage is very close to being a .308 Win. Exact same case head diameter, so there'd be no fussing with the extractor. Possibly a bit of mag work, but not likely. OAL's are really close too.
You'd need a smithy who has an M722 bushing for his barrel vise and action wrench. Even if he does, it wouldn't be much of an issue if he has it for an M700.
It might be worth more collector wise as a .300 though. Original chambering from 1948. And .300 Savage ammo/brass you can get.

I'll bet if you had two rifles, one in 308 and one in 300Sav, and you shot them without looking to see which one, you could not tell the difference in recoil, accuracy, or range.

I just sold a 722 in 308 that started its career as a 300 Savage. It's a quick job for a smith who has a 308 reamer.

Actually, the .300 Savage was the "parent" of the .308. The Army found the .300 Savage to be just about what they needed, and some early test rifles were chambered for that round. But the short neck gave problems in bullet retention when feeding in automatic weapons, so the 7.62 NATO (.308 Winchester) was born.

Jim

I'd go to a reloading manual to check what Scorch said. If it is correct, then it's a quick run with a reamer and then checking for headspace.

I converted a 300Sav Arisaka to 308.
Just pull the barrel, put the barrel in the lathe dial it in, put the 308 reamer in it, and take out a tiny amount of metal before the 308 headspace gauge goes in all the way. Put the barrel back in the receiver.

Attachments

• Arisaka.jpg
    Arisaka.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 26
take out a tiny amount of metal before the 308 headspace gauge goes in all the way.

When I do that I have to manage case head protrusion, then there is that tiny part. The 308 shoulder is .060" ahead of the 300 savage and the length of the case is .145" longer.

F. Guffey

I converted a 300Sav Arisaka to 308.
Just pull the barrel, put the barrel in the lathe dial it in, put the 308 reamer in it, and take out a tiny amount of metal before the 308 headspace gauge goes in all the way. Put the barrel back in the receiver.
Or for $80 rent a pull through reamer from reamerrentals.com and it headspace it's self.

Back