changing barrels/calibers on a C&R (Vz 52)

ISC

I have a VZ 52 back home with a completely shot out barrel. It is also one of those rifles that had the stock coated with the black crinkle coat bed liner.

Anyone familiar with VZ 52s knows what I'm talking about.

I have a new in the white 7.62x39 barrel for the Vz 52 or 52/57. I intend to replace the shot out barrel with the new barrel.

When I do the replacement, I'm considering drilling a spot for a second pin like in a VZ 52/57.

Here's the question...

I want my rifle to be as close to a Vz 52/57 as poossible. I know that many VZ 52s were arsenal converted to 7.62x39 with a replacement barrel, and that is what I want to replicate with my rifle. I also know that I'd need to get a different magazine and strip off the crinkle coat for the conversion to be as complete as possible.

1) Is it unethical to create a faux Vz 52/57 knowing that at some point in the future a subsequent owner may try to pass it off as an original, knowing that a 52/57 is worth 2-3 times what a 52 is worth.

2) Am I right in assuming that once the rebarrelling is done my rifle ceases to be a C&R?

3) Am I likely to regret modifying my rifle since it would no longer technically a C&R and also not original anymore even though it is a close copy of an original?

4) would stamping the reciever to duplicate the 52/57's markings be making it even worse?

5) Is their a way to tell the difference between a 52/57 and a 52 modified like I intend to for mine?

Last edited:
sorry... can't answer your questions... well maybe ethics... I think lots of us try to get a rifle as close to something else as possible... as long as you leave some glareing difference ( like maybe not try to duplicate the original stamping, but stamp the same info in a different sized stamp )

I have a VZ-52 in 7.62 X 45... I was not aware that the rifles could safely be rechambered in 7.62 X 57 ???

2) Am I right in assuming that once the rebarrelling is done my rifle ceases to be a C&R?

I'm not a lawyer, but a re-barrel to fix a shot out barrel won't impact the C&R status as that is maintenance. Modifying the gun with a new caliber however, would change the status of the gun and pop it out of the C&R category. But again, I'm not a lawyer -- just some guy on the internet, so take it for what it's worth.

But, I thought the C&R status of a gun is only an issue if you decide to sell it to a C&R holder and ship it to them. A FTF sale to a normal person shouldn't be different than any other FTF non-C&R sale.

It makes sense to rebarrel for a good bore and common ammunition, unless there is a collector who would pay good money for the original type not intending to shoot it.

It would be ethical to mark the gun so as to not be thought a fraud or to prevent fraud by a later owner. I would hope nobody would accept a "52/2010" as a real model variation.

1) Is it unethical to create a faux Vz 52/57 knowing that at some point in the future a subsequent owner may try to pass it off as an original, knowing that a 52/57 is worth 2-3 times what a 52 is worth.

I don't think it's unethical so long as you don't try to pass the rifle off as a genuine Vz 52/57. What some unscrupulous owner does on down the road, to my mind, isn't your problem nor is it your fault.

You do not need another magazine. The OE mags for X45mm will work flawlessly with the converted barrel.

Mine was converted by the guy who brought it back.

I know that Numerich sells the conversion bushing that does work, but you have to follow instructions to the letter. Mine doesn't have a bushing, it has acording to the guy I purchased it from milled a bit of the back of the chamber area.

I cannot find a bushing and I have never seen a X39 barrel for sale, so I just roll with it.

Where did you find your new barrel?

Here are a few pics of my S.H.E.

IMG_1667.jpg

IMG_1666.jpg

IMG_1668.jpg

DSCN0708.jpg

IMG_1671.jpg

Not accurate enough for target work, but fun as all get out to shoot. I love mine.

-Bill

If your worried about someone Passing this off in the future here is what you need to do.

When you re-barrel the rifle, Deeply Ingrave on the barrel, REBARRELED IN THE SUMMER OF 2010 BY (your Name) and you will have peace of mind.:)

Unless the barrel you use for the rebarrel comes with the correct old proof marks, no collector is going to fall for it as original. But you always have the option to mark it under the handguard, not going to detract from the first impression, but making it very clear to the collector who checks.

Back